Foil in air vent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb025

I see some foil like material in two of my air conditioner vents. It is blocking some of the air flow. Is it ok for me to remove it with some needle nose pliers? And does this mean something is wrong with my air conditioner? It still runs ok.

A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say. That has never been more true than when asking these types of questions.

Picture Please!

Often the vents are fed by a flexible foil looking duct.  I would hate to see you destroy your flex duct trying to pull out the "foil"!!

Make sure it isn't the vent hose that has been collapsed by something.  You should be able to use a flashlight to be sure.  It would help to take the vent cover off if you can.

I'm betting you've got a Coleman Mach AC unit that was probably built around 2011 (Give or take a year.) After we bought our 2011 Tour, we'd get a mini ticker-tape parade of aluminum foil blowing out of the AC vents whenever we ran the AC. I still get some shards of foil every once in awhile, but they're not nearly as big or as numerous as they used to be.

I was told by another RVer who was experiencing the same issue, and who contacted Coleman about it, that Coleman had insulated some part of the AC unit with aluminum foil, but the bonding material they used to hold it in place didn't hold up well. As the foil came loose, it would get chewed up by the fan in the AC unit, and shot out through the ducted roof vents. I was also told that Coleman said there was nothing to worry about, and it would eventually stop. Like I said, I still get some once in awhile, but I've been running our three roof AC units for years now, with no problems.

Kev

By the way, welcome to the RVForum Barb025!)

I've got a 2014 5th wheel and also had a couple of small pieces of foil in the vent duct.  I was able to just use a fork and get it out.  It wasn't connected to anything. Think it was just scrap

Back
Top Bottom