Folding Bike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rollie

I have started looking into getting some bikes to tool around on.  Not serious biking just a leasure ride or a quick run to get a paper.  Since space is a concern I have been looking at a folding bike.  I would like any help you all could give.  I came across one called a Citizen that looks interesting.
Rollie

caltex said:
Ron, have you seen any negatives with the Montague bike?? Seen any other brand you liked better?

We have been very happy with them.  Haven't had any experience with other brands.

Ron, You must not have the storage problem I have ... the Montague folding bikes I have seen would be too large for us.  I am looking at the 20" bikes so I can get two of them into our Honda CRV.  But the prices go from $100 - $2000.  So I know that there are quality, ease of use and safety issues that I would like to learn about before I buy. Karl suggested one that looks interesting ... but all I have to go on is what is on their web site.
Rollie

Rollie, I like you am looking for a folding bike. You can goggle "folding bike and see several brands, but without users feedback it is difficult to understand the pros and cons of the various configurations. For example, how significant is the large wheel verses the small wheel in terms of usability. Should all wheels re easily removable or is just folding OK?  All of this depends on the storage space available and how you intend to use the bike.  So I guess we just pick up bits and pieces of information here and there and make the best choice possible with the data we have. Let us know if you purchase one and give us a user report.

We have stored both the Monaque bikes in the bay under the slide as well as in the back of the Grand Cherokee behind the rear seats.  We have also carried them on a bike carrier.

Folding bikes really run the gamut from too cheap to too expensive.  My soon to be ex-BIL has one that I liked a lot, just can't think of the name.  It was very rideable, easy to fold.  Around $700 I think.  I have tried the Dahon brands and they aren't too bad, but get the better of their models.  I have seen the lesser ones and they got nasy looking.  I think I would go for the stainless steel version they make for boating. 

Camping World has a telescopic version I am unsure about.  Looked like a good idea, but just not confident in the parts.

Best one is done by S&S machining, they make a quick disconnect adaption to whatever bike you have.  That is procey, but you get a top quality machine.  Not for an around the campground rider.  This would be for a serious rider that wants no compromise.

Bike Friday is a good quality example of a folder.  Not cheap but you can do real rides and real speeds.  I have a Cycling Forum friend that used to take it with hiom on all his business tripps.  Not a folder as you might imagine, but a transportable system.  Have to reassemble, but it all packs into a suitcase.  They make a Bike TwosDay that assembles into a tandem. 

The more I learn about these bikes the more I hesitate to buy ... I am going to have to see some of these first hand ... so off to a bike store.  I'll let you know if I find out something usefull.
Rollie

What happened to that telescoping bike that CW sold? It didn't fold, telescoped instead. Went on to CW website and couldn't find it. Can't remember the manufacturer's name.

They still have a few at the store here.  If you want to buy a bike like that without being at the store, try LL Bean.  Best warranty, bar none.  You don't like it, or it does not work, you send it back. 

Bike shops won't always have a good selection, the folders aren't their specialty.  Check a marine supply like West Marine or Boats US, they will usually have the stainless steel folders. 

Try a web search on Bike Friday, but prepare for the price. 

Good point, what do you see as a reasonable price range for a bike? 

PancakeBill said:
Good point, what do you see as a reasonable price range for a bike??

I was hoping for something good in the $300 range ... but I like the idea of the stainless steel folders ... soooo
Rollie

caltex said:
Ron, have you seen any negatives with the Montague bike?  Seen any other brand you liked better?

Hi Robert,

We have a friend, whom we haven't seen in a long time, that is an avid cyclist. He let me ride his Bike Friday folding bike at a rally. Very nice bike but on the expensive side. If I were to buy a folding bike it's the brand I would seriously consider.

Hi Robert,

A bike certainly can give you some great exercise. If it wasn't for my shoulder I'd be riding every morning here at TGO. Usually do about 13 miles and average around 16.5mph. Feels great!!! Of course I'm using a full size road bike but the Bike Friday is capable of the same thing.

The Bike Friday is well built and should last a long time. It's much different than those inexpensive foldup bikes. Feels more like a "real" bike. They've been in business for quite a few years. I haven't looked at them for a couple of years now. They've probably gotten even better!

Robert,

It certainly is! ;D Hope I get back on the bike before we head out for the summer. Depends upon the shoulder. :(

Just before we headed north two years ago we took a trip with the Nature club for a ride on a Rails to Trails path in FL. I rode with the couple who arranged it. We found ourselves way ahead of everyone else. They all caught up at lunch and this couple decided they wanted to ride to the end of the trail. I told Pat I wanted to ride with them so she went back to the parking lot with the rest. When we got back to the cars, Neil asked if we wanted to go to the beginning of the trail as we had started quite a ways up. I said yes but his wife opted to stop. We rode to the end and back. Total trip was 42 miles and the speed was over 16!! THEN I find out he used to be in Special Forces!!!! ;D ;D Really made me feel good.

We bought two of the Dahon, folding bikes in a five speed version, with the 20" wheels when we went on the road full-time, six years ago. We sold them last spring and I have since purchased a full sized bike. We found that the folding bikes work quite well as long as you ride on paved surfaces. But when you try to ride in any other surface they become very unstable. If there is any loose sand or gravel the wheels will very easily slip out from under you. We just don't spend enough of our time in areas with paved surfaces to make then workable. I have found that I get much more use from what I have now, even though I do have to use an outside carrier. If you never ride where it is not paved, I would recommend one from Dahon. But if you want to ride where there is gravel, or any other non-paved surfaces, they are not very safe.

Back
Top Bottom