Folding down Antenna on Roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevesquires

Hey all,

I just bought a cover for my Puma Palomino and I'm looking forward to using it.  I went up to fold down the antenna (radio, not TV) and lo and behold it was stuck.  I sprayed WD40 on it; it moved a little but not a lot and its not moving any more today than yesterday.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get this antenna to fold down.  Is there a screw somewhere that I can loosen it or . . .

Thanks in advance :)

Roof top antennas are usually raised and lowered using a turn handle in the ceiling of the RV.  Look directly below the antenna inside for the handle.

Ned, aren't RADIO antennas usually stationary?  I thought only TV antennas raise and lower.

ArdraF

Missed that, thanks Ardra.  Most radio antennas are whips and don't go down.

Ned, I figured your brain and your fingers miscommunicated!  ;D

ArdraF

Mine is spring loaded on the bottom of the antenna.  I don't have your problem.  Maybe just spray a quality penetrant on the pivot point, then give it some time to soak in and let it do it's work before you try to fold it down. 

Personally, I am not a WD-40 fan.  But that is just me.

My radio antenna has a small pivoting ball joint at the base that's held tight with a Phillips head screw. I just loosen the screw and let it lay down.

There are two kinds of radio "Whip" or "Rubber duck" antennas (A Rubber duck is a coil of wire covered in rubber, there actually is (or was) an antenna with that brand name).

Most of the rubber ducks are not designed to lay down, Some of the whips are also not so designed/

Others have the ball and  you loosen the screw

I have seen a few,  VERY VERY Few, that did not need tools to lay down

You may be able to unscrew it though (Or not, depending on the antenna)

I do not recommend using covers, if they "Chafe" they can damage your RV.

Assuming your antenna has a pivot at the bottom, try using a decent penetrating oil rather than WD40, which is neither a great penetrent nor a good lube.  PB Blaster and Kroil are excellent products for loosening corroded fittings, but other brands should work ok too. Any hardware, automotive or home store will have a choice of penetrating oils.

If yours is like mine, and probably most, it has a screw to loosen then lay it down.  But it should also be a spring antenna.  Just leave it up.  That's what the spring is for.  Mine is up all the time unless it has been hit enough times to loosen the screw.  Then I get up and put it up and tighten the screw again.  It's a lot more work getting up and lowering and raising each trip than just leaving it up.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Assuming your antenna has a pivot at the bottom, try using a decent penetrating oil rather than WD40, which is neither a great penetrent nor a good lube.  PB Blaster and Kroil are excellent products for loosening corroded fittings, but other brands should work ok too. Any hardware, automotive or home store will have a choice of penetrating oils.

I second PB Blaster for a good choice.  CRC Products also has a good penetrating oil spray.

Could the (wind up) TV antenna be used for radio reception? I want to make a good wire antenna, but thought I might try to attach it to the TV antenna, until I get some kind of tower going.

What about lightning strikes? I'm in a high lightning area (Tesla worked 50 miles away). Any way to ground it? Or lightning rod the trailer?

As usual - the RV Forum comes through for me.  I'll take all of this into consideration and try it all out. 

Thanks so much for your help and time!

Back
Top Bottom