Forced Boondocking at 14 F

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IBTripping, That’s beautiful! Other than your 1st timer’s harsh boondocking experience....hope that you’re no worse for wear!

I’m pretty envious, we didn’t get to do our annual, fall/early winter 3 week boondock trip! I really love camping, hunting, playing in the backcountry when it’s like your photos! memtb

IBTripping, That’s beautiful! Other than your 1st timer’s harsh boondocking experience....hope that you’re no worse for wear!

I’m pretty envious, we didn’t get to do our annual, fall/early winter 3 week boondock trip! I really love camping, hunting, playing in the backcountry when it’s like your photos! memtb
Thanks Memtb. I'm fine. It was not a bad experience since I was prepared and knew what to do. Although, I'm not eager to do it again for a while. The only minor problem was I woke up freezing cold because the house battery was dead which meant no furnace or refrigerator. I had not charged it enough with jumping from my truck battery. I didn't make that mistake again.

IBTripping, An memorable experience for the books!

If your only real hiccup was allowing the battery to die once.....you didn’t do bad!

Heck , for me.....if there’s no article written in the newspaper, I consider the trip a complete success! 😁 memtb

The story reminds e of Apollo 13. Scary stuff...
Ex,

Let me remind you. The Apollo Crew Had 5 tanks of Propane.

Don't fact check me on the above statement as I am trying only to crack a joke.

IB completed his, close call, RV Mis-Adventure with only 4 tanks. :cool:

IB got me feeling kind of bad, Lightweight, for complaining at 47F the other day here now too.

Standing and Clapping from the Peanut Gallery.

You're still in the game.

JD

Ex,

Let me remind you. The Apollo Crew Had 5 tanks of Propane.

Don't fact check me on the above statement as I am trying only to crack a joke.
They said they got really, really lucky to get past the Van Allen radiation belts without dying. Too bad that 1960's technology is lost forever. It gets so cold in outer space, and so hot in the sunlight. To maintain comfortable temps in a cardboard fort wrapped in gold gift wrap foil would be valuable info for us to keep our RVs comfortable. I'm just amazed the film in the camera was not ruined by x-rays when the shutter opened. So glad at least the 60's had smarter engineers than today.....

So glad at least the 60's had smarter engineers than today.....
As a working engineer in aerospace for 40 years I definitely take exception to the comment. Aside from the "basics" there is a ton more to learn today as an engineer.

I would say having mentored many graduate engineers the difference is that the engineers of the 60's grew up as part of the "do it yourself" greatest generation and had "practical" mechanical skills.

Too many young engineers have no practical hands on knowledge other than school projects.

As someone who worked as an engineer, engineering manager, and engineering project manager, engineers coming out of college are just as bright today as they were in the 80s when I started. Anyone who believes otherwise really hasn’t worked with recent grads. Do they know how to turn a wrench? Maybe not, but that is because cars these days don’t have anything you can fix on your own!

Engineers: As having worked with engineers since the late ‘70’s until recently ......I concur that they are just as bright/smart as they ever were! When I was with Exxon (both production and chemical) I worked with some of the best!

However, I can count on one hand the number of engineers that were both bright/intelligent and also blessed with genuine, good ole common sense.

Often they (primarily when I worked in oil/gas production) would design a piece of equipment that was very functional but, near impossible to work on!

There are a few companies (I was never blessed to work with one) where once the engineer is hired, he would work for approximately 6 months in the field with operations and another 6 months with maintenance. It gave them a much better grasp as to what was required/needed in the real world.....not as envisioned in the office. I contend that when an engineer completes this regiment....he/she is a much better engineer. Obviously, this may not be practical in all fields of engineering! memtb

.... I'm just amazed the film in the camera was not ruined by x-rays..
Went to the Aerospace / Flight Building at the Smithsonian. I was about 12 yrs old, it was right after they dragged me and my Brother to the Watergate Hearings. Stood in line for Hours. Now that I am old got something to say.. I was there..history.. complaining. Doing my part as a young kid.

Anyway..I was actually amazed the occupants of the Space Vehicle itself were not ruined. I think that Apollo capsule is on display at the Smithsonian in DC. (Not 100%)

In Houston at NASA which controlled the vehicle once it launched they have the BIG Saturn v rocket on display, assembled on its side.

That must have been one heck of a lift off. The thoughts in their Minds. Even today. That takes a special type person to sign up for that.. Yikes! I'll definitely PASS. I would need a dozen propane bottles and another Bottle.

Back
Top Bottom