Ford 460 hesitating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karl

Moderator Emeritus
Elkhart Lake, WI for the summer. Work at Road Amer
Last couple of days, my '96 460 (EFI) has been hesitating on acceleration a few times; sounds like exhaust backfire. Lasts about 5 seconds then smoothes out again. Temp o.k., oil o.k., everything else o.k. Question is, does anyone know off the top of their head how to display the fault codes using the ignition switch, etc.? I'll Google it, but thought maybe someone knew right away. Already planning on checking fuel/air filters, connectors, plug wires, etc. Thanks.

Karl said:
Question is, does anyone know off the top of their head how to display the fault codes using the ignition switch, etc.?

Karl,

If you find out how to display the fault code using the ignition switch and you think the same procedure would apply to a 1992 Ford 460, would you send me the procedure. Often people send PM's or e-mail replies to questions and the rest of us do not get the benefit of their reply. I don't have a problem right now but would like to file the procedure for future use.

Thanks.  Richard

On some vehicles the codes are displayed by switching the ignition key on, off, on, off, and on again the codes are then displayed in the digital milage window on the speedometer. I understand that some may require another off and on cycle.

Hope it works for you.

Ron

Hi,

Don't want to be doom and gloomer, however a hesitation under acceleration could spell fuel pump/filter problem.  Check the inline filter, usualy aft of the drivers side door on the frame rail.  Remove it and tap it on a white paper towel and see if any sediment is present.  Let the gas drain from filter, then blow on one side.  It should blow freely if unpluged.
After that process, the proper way to diagnose is hooking a pressure guage to the gas line and watch the pressure under acceleration.  If it won't hold 50psi or what ever the spec is, it is the fuel pump or the sack filter on the pump assembly.

I have been through this on my 91' 460 F53.  Had the intank pump replaced twice and a third time it was a dirty sack filter.

Mike

Karl  I had Sack(Pump) problems with our 93  and once replaced  all was well.  So far so good with the 98 but always aware.

Karl in most cases you can tell if it's fuel, just in case it could be electric, but I'd bet of the fuel pump.

A little more info for you.  I only know because I have paid to play.

I had the dreaded hesitation in Phoenix and took it to the Ford Truck Dealer for diagnosis.  I watched him with fuel pressure gauges and it would go to almost zero under full acceleration from a stop.

Now the fix:
R&R Tank $400
Pump with gauge Assy $353.00

With Ford, you get a nationwide guarantee for parts and labor.  Not a bad deal if your traveling.  I opted for this solution.  100miles out of Phoenix, same hesitation problem came back.  I limped into CA and made arraignments in Temecula for service.  When I took the toad off, I could drive at 60mph up slight inclines without any hesitation. 

Again I watched the tech attach the gauges and we took off looking for a place to test under a load.  Finally got a stretch and at 55mph and flooring it, the pressure would fall to 10psi.  They decided the pump was defective and replaced it no-charge.

Problems over for 3 years.  But they came back, same symptoms.  I found a small RV to drop the tank, crawl in under and pull the pump assembly for $100.
The sack filter on the pump had a brown tinge / color.  I washed this out with gas and got it clean.  Ford only services this sack with a new pump.

No problem again for a couple years.  Last year on a trip to FL, same symptom and I replaced the in line fuel filter and it was corrected.  Filling up the tank helps the problem I have found.  I believe the pumps get hot and the problem is intensified.  I have looked for rust in the system and can't find any. 

Carry the in line filter with you.
Cheers,
Mike

In March of 2003, Mike, my 1990 Winebago Elandan on a Ford chassis with a 460 engine bolstered by a Banks installation ran just fine up that long slow climb on I-10 from Blythe to the rest stop just beyond General Patton's museum.

We stopped for lunch and 45 minutes later it started and idled very reluctantly, and when I put it into gear and tried to move off the engine stuttered to a complete stop.  Two hours later, the symptoms were much reduced but by then a Coach Net techie suggested I spend the (Sunday) night in the rest stop and try it the following morning.  If it wouldn't run, he'd arrange to have it towed to a Ford dealership in Indio (or wherever nearest); else, let him know during out continuing trip to Hemet and he'd arrange for service at Gosch Ford.

Well, next morning it started just fine and ran like a Timex all the way to Hemet.  On the Coach Net techie's advice I had Gosch test it for fuel presure and fuel flow, and the pump failed both tests miserably.  I said, good heavens, it's only got about 50K miles on it, to which the Gosch service advisor said, I see them in here needing a fuel pump replacement at 25K miles.  The problem according to the advisor is that the pump overheats as the fuel level gets down to a third or below.  And even though they were replacing my fuel pump with a superior Ford pump, his advice was to fill up every time the tank got to half-full and that is what I have since done consistently.  Now, with an additional 12K miles on the rig I've had no problem.

Ciao,

Doug

Thanks again to everyone. I will replace the filter and check pump pressure, but it is very intermittent. That is why I asked for the procedure to read out the codes, in case anything was set. Problem happens on light/medium/heavy acceleration; full tank or empty - no pattern at all.

Problem happens on light/medium/heavy acceleration; full tank or empty - no pattern at all.

Surely, Karl, that suggests a fundamental problem with the pump (or its accessories)???

Ciao,

Doug

Ford had a fuel pump problem on the 460's in the early-mid 90's - the pumps died at a rather low mileage, often as little as 25-30k miles.  As a result, most of them got replaced within a few years but RVs with low mileage sometimes lasted much longer. If your fuel pump has never been replaced, its a good bet that's the problem.  Intermittent fuel starvation is the way it starts, but eventually it will fail altogether.

Ford put a new fuel pump into production in mid-late 1996, if I remember correctly, and that solved the problem on subsequent models.  That doesn't mean that pumps never fail, but early life failures were much reduced after that,

RV Roamer said:
Ford had a fuel pump problem on the 460's in the early-mid 90's ....

I vaguely recall Ed Juge having a pump failure on that coach. (Ed was the original owner). This wasn't Karl's question, nor does it help his current situation, but figured I'd mention it since it came to mind.

Karl,

Now the bad news; I seem to recall that the fuel pump on that coach is inside the tank.

I have a 1994 Damon with a 460 EFI and just last spring had to replace the fuel pump. It is inside the fuel tank which has to be dropped. I was going to cut hole in the floor under the rear bed, but there is a transverse channel between the main frame members exactly over the top of the tank and just about 2 inches above the top of the circular plate that contains the pump and sending unit. This would have had to be cut also, so opted for the tank drop.

You can crutch the pump in the tank by putting an auxilliary pump in place of the filter. Ford can supply this pump also. This will last as long as the pump in the tank continues to put out about 15 psi. Then when the tank pump fails completly, you must replace it. I skated about two/three years before I had to replace the fuel tank pump. The owner of the garage that replaced it told me that they usualy expire at around 40 K miles, I had 44K.You also must install a jumper cable since the new pump has a different connector also supplied by Ford. My total cost was $800.00 plus some change. $500.00 labor, pump and cable $300.00 plus change.

I took out the aux pump reinstalled the filter. Problem cured. I now have about three thousand mile on the new pump and still chugging along.

I have all the details about the aux pump installation if you are intrested. I got caught on the road and paid the $800 plus. Could have done it at home for the price of the pump and jumper cable, Oh !! Well!! live and learn.

Jerry

Karl,

I replaced the in tank pump in my Bounder.  It took maybe an hour and a half.  If you are interested in how I did it I will PM you.

Jerry/Jim,

Any chance you could post the instructions/procedure here? That would make a good file for our library. If you happened to have taken photos, that would be icing on the cake.

TIA.

Tom, I will write a proceedure from my experience with the fuel pump problem. It will probably be pretty lengthy. I will write it seperately and then try and attach it, if I can figure out how.

If not, I have been thinking of visiting Jim Dick, so I can give him a copy and he can send it in.

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom