Ford 460 timing adjustment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaygem

We recently bought a 1989 Georgie Boy with the 460 Ford engine. Our mechanic has tried to adjust timing, but cannot get a timing light on the engine without doing major surgery. Is this typical of most motor homes?

I?ve had a timing light on a half dozen different class a/460 over the years. No problem. Might be a little cramped and uncomfortable. I did it from underneath with helper to rotate distributor from top. Make sure spout jumper is pulled.

!987 Lindy with a Ford 460.
Replaced from the timing gears forward and then some; all solo.
Albeit shooting the light on the mark is a bit cramped, but the timing is dead on and I am definitely no mechanic.
This was verified when I recently had it smogged.
It helps if you put a dot with a white permanent marker on the harmonic balancer at the correct timing mark.
I believe, but don't quote me on this, it's at 8? BTDC.

I have relocated the timing marks on several engines to make them more visible and accurate. It may take some calculating if the factory marks cannot be seen or the tab is missing.
  A top dead center finder can be fabricated from an old spark plug with the center knocked out and a nut welded to the top.
  I learned that marking the propellers position to the airboats cage just doesnt work well...the prop moves too fast and wife gets upset about me being that close to the prop....

Back
Top Bottom