Ford 460 V8, 3 speed with overdrive???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattyShipc

Hello! I'm a newbie here, and a soon-to-be-newbie to RVing. I'm a 62 y/o woman, going to be traveling with my 2 Shelties! Tomorrow I'm looking at a class C 2007 Coachmen Leprechaun, 31.5 feet with a Ford 460 V8, 3 speed with overdrive. Is that a good engine for a motorhome that size? I'm concerned about hills/mountains. The engine has 31K miles on it. One owner.
I'd like to hear your opinions. Thanx -Patty

Welcome to the forum. Lots of very experienced people here.

I would be more concerned with the cargo carrying capacity.

class C motor homes are notorious for being almost overloaded right from the factory.

Our former 1995 Coachmen Catalina 33' Class A also had the 460 V8 and 3+OD transmission. We never found a hill on any improved road that we couldn't climb, even towing a 3,000 lb toad. Not always the fastest vehicle going up, but we always got there.

Something is out-of-kilter here. If it's a 2007 Ford-based class-C on the E450 van chassis, it would have the Ford V10 engine rather than the 460 V8, which went out of use in 1998-1999. If based on the smaller E350 van chassis (unlikley for a 31 footer), it might have the 5.4L V8 instead, but production of the 460 engine has ceased long before 2007.

Here's a typical 2007 Leprechaun spec: 2007 Coachmen Leprechaun 318DS Specifications and Dimensions

Last edited:
Something is out-of-kilter here. If it's a 2007 Ford-based class-C on the E450 van chassis, it would have the Ford V10 engine rather than the 460 V8, which went out of use in 1998-1999. If based on the smaller E350 van chassis (unlikley for a 31 footer), it might have the 5.4L V8 instead, but production of the 460 engine has ceased long before 2007.

Here's a typical 2007 Leprechaun spec: 2007 Coachmen Leprechaun 318DS Specifications and Dimensions
Thanks for your reply, Gary. I don't know a lot about Ford engines, but the V8 on that engine seemed out of kilter to me too. I appreciate the link you included. gives me some good questions to ask.

Ditto on Gary's comment. I have never heard of an E450 chassis that did not have the v10, which is a fantastic engine. (I know this because I worked with the Ford corporate quality people during the time I bought my rig. They said I should easily get 300,000-400,000 miles on it.) However, Rob is also right about cargo carrying capacity. It is the one thing I am disappointed about in my 2012 32' C. I have only 1,300 lbs of cargo carrying capacity, and that includes me, all of my belongings, water in the fresh water tank, grey and black water in waste tanks, gas, groceries, propane, passengers, etc. It adds up fast when you are full-timing.

I am with the others, something is off here, maybe it is a 1997 which would make more sense to have a 460 with 3 speed transmission, an 07 should probably have a 6.8L V10 or at least a 5.4L V8, mated to a 4 or maybe a 5 speed automatic transmission (I am not sure exactly what year the E series Ford moved from 4 speed to 5 speed automatics)

Hello! I'm a newbie here, and a soon-to-be-newbie to RVing. I'm a 62 y/o woman, going to be traveling with my 2 Shelties! Tomorrow I'm looking at a class C 2007 Coachmen Leprechaun, 31.5 feet with a Ford 460 V8, 3 speed with overdrive. Is that a good engine for a motorhome that size? I'm concerned about hills/mountains. The engine has 31K miles on it. One owner.
I'd like to hear your opinions. Thanx -Patty
Yes, it has plenty of guts. I would take that V8 over the Ford V10 any day. The V8 is a larger, more efficient, lower revving, engine than the V10.

-Don- Auburn, CA

One thing about the tranny...
Recently I dumped a 2001 Neon on the dealer and drove home in a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude. dang near 2x the car 2500 pounds to around 3500 or more. much larger profile (This ride FEELS big) and I went from about 24MGP freeway to 29-30 (Well the salesman did say "high 20's", he did not lie).
NINE speed transmission.. I don't think I've ever hit 9.

I don't know a lot about Ford engines, but the V8 on that engine seemed out of kilter to me too.
A very basic error in the description like that makes any & every other claim suspect. Verify anything the seller tells you.

If it is indeed a 460 V8, the engine itself is potent and powered more than half the large gas motorhomes up till about 1998. I'm guessing a 3 speed + OD tranny is an E4OD, a reliable tranny but sharing a lack of gears with the similar GM and Chrysler trannies of that era. Heavy RVs really need at least 5 or 6 forward speeds to perform well under a variety of conditions, but the first Ford 5 speed was the 5R110 which became available in 2004 and wasn't widely used in RVs until the 2006 model year.

That said, the E4OD will get any RV to the top of any hill, but will often be using 2nd gear or maybe even 1st gear to do so. Slow and high revving, but no doubt about getting there.

If they told you it is a 460 I probably wouldn't go back. Are you buying from a dealer or individual?
Bill
Yes, I verified with the owner that it is a 460 with V8. I viewed it and it does has overdrive, so it has fuel injection. He said it gets about 8 mpg. I'm going to post to see what newer rigs are getting. thanks for your reply :)

Then you need to verify the year and model. It may be much older than you think and will affect the price, also don't rule out a scam..>>>Dan

Welcome to the forum. Lots of very experienced people here.

I would be more concerned with the cargo carrying capacity.

class C motor homes are notorious for being almost overloaded right from the factory.
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate everyone for sharing their knowledge. You mentioned carrying capacity. Aside from the sticker inside the door, where can I find this info. I'm looking for a rig online and don't want to buy without knowing.

Also, how do I begin a new thread???? Cannot find the magic button. Thanks again, Patty :)

I have bought a lot of cars and my current RV from Craigs List and private sellers who were completely honest. I also passed on a lot of them because they did not have a title, the title did not match the vehicle (like in your case), or the title was not in the seller's name. If anything is questionable it is best to walk away to avoid any legal issues which might come up. Always match the VIN number on the title to the vehicle. But even then I looked at a Lincoln where the VIN on the dash matched but I'm pretty sure a black interior with a green dash was never a factory option. If the price seems like a "real steal" it might be . Be very careful.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom