Ford E-450 Cornering Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Treeman

Hello All,
I bet this subject has come up before, but: I find the 2006 Ford E-450 lighting to be outdated by today's standards for lighting. I have a new LazyDaze ordered on this chassis. I was poking around and found these cornering lights. They are not the obnoxious Hid lights that blind oncoming vehicles, but they do provide the missing close quarter illumination needed to see curbs, fog lines, etc.
Take a look here: http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Beams.htm#cornering pattern
The cornering light pattern is about halfway down the page.
Your opinions would be appreciated.
Best,
Treeman

I note that these are not what US car manufacturers call a "cornering light", i.e. a light that comes on with the turn signal and illuminates the nearby area to the corner/side  during a turn.  Note also that they can NOT be on while your main headlamps are on (US DOT regulation), which seems to me to limit their application to offroad use.

I'm curious why you feel these will be beneficial. Driving through campgrounds in the dark, perhaps?

Treeman,

For the few times when they may actually be useful, I don't think they're worth the additional expense. Note the "Limited Use" statement. Besides, if you're going that slow that you need to see the fog lines up close and personal, maybe the conditions are such that you're better off pulling off the road to wait for conditions to improve.

Thanks Guys,
I realise that this is a limited use item.
From my standpoint the headlights on the 2006 E-450 are the same old fashioned diffused lensed lighting, that came on the scene over 10 years ago.
If you look at the newer lighting in use on some new vehicles, you'll see how inadequate this design is. (some newer headlights even rotate to show you what's ahead on the curve, instead of shining off-road)

The two Saturn vehicles I have include driving lights (stock) that illuminate turn-offs, curbs, and the fog lines, in dark or bad weather conditions. That's basically what I'm looking for. If you look at the front-end of the 26.5' Lazy Daze MB here: http://lazydaze.com/roadmnrs.htm you'll see the front end design leaves little room to install auxiliary lighting. The only other choice left is to replace the headlight's halogen bulbs, with xenon bulbs of the same wattage.
Unless there is a better idea out there?
Thanks for your replies,
Best,
Treeman

Back
Top Bottom