FORD EDGE/LINCOLN MKX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trapper03

NEW TO FORUM AND FAIRLY NEW TO RV'ING.  IN SEARCHING FOR A NEW DINGHY, WE HAVE LEARNED THAT THE NEW FORD EDGE AND LINCOLN MKX CROSSOVER VEHICLES ARE 4 WHEEL DOWN TOWABLE WITH NO MODIFICATIONS NEEDED.  UNFORTUNATELY A BASEPLATE HAS NOT BEEN MADE YET.  IF ANYONE ELSE IS INTERESTED IN THESE VEHICLES AS A DINGHY, PLEASE CONTACT BLUE OX OR OTHER BASEPLATE MANUFACTURERS AND SHOW THEM AN INTEREST.  IT HELPS SPEED UP THE PROCESS!

I'm having the same problem with the GMC Acadia, also a new vehicle this month and 4-down towable (same tranny that the Lincoln & Ford Edge use).  The tow bar vendors all say "insufficient interest" to produce a base plate and they do not design & build them unless there is actual stated demand.  Duh! How can there be a lot of demand for a new vehicle? And of course, many of us won't buy the vehicle if there is no towing equipment available for it.

If you take a new vehicle to the Blue Ox factory, they will design and manufacture a base plate for it in a few days.  They have a very nice campground on site and will even give you a loaner car while they fit yours.

Yeah, great. They will also give you a base plate and a tow bar if they use your car to design the new equipment. But their facility is in Pender, Nebraska and I'm in Florida. Have to drive the car & coach separately to get there - over 1000 miles. And it's damn cold there in Jan-Feb.

We thought of that, but we are going via NY and Nancy doesn't want to have to drive the car behind me for 2500 miles until we get it hitched. I suppose we could buy the new car in Nebraska too, but Id rather get it now than later and use the local dealer as well.

So if anybody feels like contacting Roadmaster and Blue Ox and inquiring about base plate availability for the Acadia (and/or the Lincoln MKX & Ford Edge mentioned above), it would help me out by elevating the priority of the base plate design job.

[email protected]

[email protected]

Demco was aggressively unhelpful when I inquired to them -  told me they "never heard of an Acadia" that they would  not even consider building a baseplate unless they had a lot of requests. I've written them off. Roadmaster was most positive and are already working on a Saturn Outlook (same base chassis). They will actively seek an Acadia for design and have posted a notice on their site requesting one. Blue Ox said they would be willing to do one if I brought my car there and would keep me in mind of the situation changed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom