Ford edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolsout2

The edge manual states that the negative battery terminal needs to be disconnected.  The Rv dealer put in a disconnect and a set of diod lights.  The lights quit working.  I am now told by a fellow edge owner that diode lights will not work unless the positive terminal is disconnected.

Why is the negative cable specified?  Anyone know if this is true About Diodes?

Are we talking about some diode wiring for toad lighting, or some other function?  Also, if those lights worked for awhile and then quit, I don't think that the Edge battery disconnect, negative or positive, has anything to do with it.

Assuming those diodes are part of the wiring to provide stop/turn/til lights on the Edge while under tow, they do need both  power source (12v positive) and a ground (12v negative), but those should be provided from the motorhome.  If your wire connection to the motorhome ground gets lost, none of the toad lights will work when towing. I'd start by verifying all connections in the coach-to-toad wiring.

Disconnecting the negative battery terminal guarantees removal of all power from the Edge's electrical system, so it's the best way to shut that down.

Thanks for the reply Gary.  The question was about the toad wiring.  This is the first time I used diodes and was having issues.  A camper down the road had a Ford Edge and he said he had issues until the disconnect was put on the positive post.

After reading your response I said DUH!  If either side is disconnected, the battery is out of the circuit.  Diodes keep things isolated.  I must have had connector problems.  After working on it to ensure a good fit with the new plugs it is working.

Thanks

Many newer vehicles have multiplex wiring systems and connecting the actual lights to the motorhome source can be tricky.  You didn't say if the diode install ever worked right.

It's conceivable that the car battery was providing the ground for the lights in that other guys Edge.  It should not be doing that if the wiring is done correctly - both power and ground for the tow lighting should be at the motorhome.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Many newer vehicles have multiplex wiring systems and connecting the actual lights to the motorhome source can be tricky.

Yep. We just bought a 2018 Fusion hybrid. From the research I have done, there supposedly isn't a way to tie into the factory lighting. I have seen a diode/resistor setup that is supposed to work with these newer cars, but I think I may play it safe and use a wireless setup in the back window. Friends of ours have a wired light setup in their back window (2015 Fusion hybrid) that can be seen well.

I'm wondering what happens to your break-away emergency brake in the toad without a battery.  I have an Air Force one system and it relies on 12 volts to activate.

A 12 volt line is added direct from the Barrera for the brake system.  I also have a charge line from the MH to the toad to keep it charged.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom