Ford V-10 Triton Detonation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RV Utah

I just purchased a 30 foot 2003 Coachmen Mirada with a V-10 and 14,000 miles. I put in regular unleaded gas. I get some pinging or detonation on heavy grades. I know detonation can be harmful. Do I need to run better gas? A fuel additive? I thought the V-10 had detonation sensors that would retard the ignition if this occurred. What's the deal? Gas is expensive enough without going to the higher grades. Any suggestions?

Karl ???

The Ford Triton V-10 is rated for regular unleaded gas, so that shouldn't be a problem, however........ having just come back from the Southwest. I ran into some gas stations where the "regular unleaded" was only 95 octane; not the 97 we are used to seeing. Could this have happened to you?

Another cause of detonation is carbon buildup on the valves, pistons, and sparkplugs. GM makes what they call "Top Engine Cleaner" that does a wonderful job of removing this buildup, but I can't say if it can or should be used in the Triton. Best get the advice of an expert. You may also want to check for the proper heat range of the plugs in the engine. Ones that are too hot can cause detonation too. 

There are several things that can cause pre-ignition "pinging" or detonation.

Fuel grade is one, timing (which should be computer controlled and thus dead on in your engine) is another, Spark plug gap (too bit or small) wrong plugs (too hot or cold) and other internal issues with the engine (the kind that require lots of labor to fix, though not all that much in parts)

In sort, it's not an easy answer.  Fuel is a possibility,  other things are too.  Usually a better grade of fuel will "Fix" the problem.  it's just that the cause may be something else.  And with Regular pushing $3.00/gallon it may well be that fixing the cause may be less expensive

So am I better off consulting an RV dealer, or my local Ford dealer?

I figure with 14,000 miles the plugs (and everything else) should all be original -- so I have ruled them out. Would it be possible for a factory setting to be off?

Appreciate the help,

Karl

Karl,

Your problem is with the Triton; not the MH, so find someone with Ford Triton experience. Also, just because it only has 14k miles on it, don't rule out the possibility that the original owner didn't make changes, or even that the wrong plugs were installed at the factory. Not likely, but those things can happen.

Since you are in Utah, is your regular 87 octane or is it the 85? If you read the Triton V-10 manual you will find that they say to run only 87 octane at all altitudes. That may be a part of the problem.

(We have a son named Karl.)

Back
Top Bottom