Ford V10- filter, chip, tornado??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

socalman38

I was told by another RVer who had a V10 in a 33 A that he added the "tornado" in the air filter area, a K&N filter and a "chip" and was getting 10-13 mpg. Anyone out there had any experience with this, and if so, is it just the KN filter, or the whole box set up?

What was the consumption of the recovery vehicle that did the towing?  ;D (just a joke)

I do not know about the chip or the "Tornado" but K&N filters do, often, make an improvement in performance

Plus they are renewable, as opposed to replacable, I personally hting highly of K&N and use one on my towed

Back when it was doing the towing the difference was noticable... The only reason I don't use one on the MH today is, well, I still don't have a comma in the "Total Miles Traveled" display  (Still running the factory original)

A low-restriction filter like a K&N can helpa bit, though you have to be willing to do the required ongoing maintenance (clean and re-oil).

Whether a chip change helps or not depends largely on your driving style and the particular rig it is used in - the chip may or may not have better operating parameters for any given rig's power-to-weight ration, rear axle, etc.  The factory chip is an all-around one designed to provide satisfactory results for just about everyone, whereas the custom chips are designed to increase power for some particular range of uses.  Sometimes they help and sometimes they do nothing. Once in awhile they actually reduce performance because the factory chip is a better match for the rig and the driver.

What was this person's mpg before making the changes and how rigorously was it measured, both before and after?  A reported MPG is often rather suspect and the numbers don't hold up when measured over several tankfuls and a variety of driving conditions.

A chip is just a reprogramming of the ECU and will do almost nothing for a non turbo charged vehicle.  My audi a4 wtih a 1.8T went from 180bhp to 230bhp with a "chip" installed.  the Chip upgrade for the 2.8 (non turbo) was about 10 HP.  The Tornado is based on a concept that GM and others have been doing for a while within their air intake systems; creating a vortex.  the problem I have with the Torando and other products is tha they seem to restrict air.  they all have money back guarantees so i guess you could always try it.

KN: buy one.  if you have a ford V10 the air filter is on recall anyway (2003+) KN gives much more air to the engine and I noticed it straight away up here at 9000 feet (colorado).  no real numbers yet as its hard to do with such varying terrain.

I play around with performance all the time in the Audi and it makes me want to play with the Bigfoot (Ford V10).  Aside from exhaust, There is little that will add bang for buck that I would do.

Audio is my current big project!

bk

KN: buy one.  if you have a ford V10 the air filter is on recall anyway (2003+) KN gives much more air to the engine and I noticed it straight away up here at 9000 feet (colorado).  no real numbers yet as its hard to do with such varying terrain

The last data I saw the KN filter may pass more air but it also passes more of the contaminants that should be stopped by the filter.  Based on the charts I seen I would never install a KN filter on anything.

Only install a K&N (or similar low restriction) filter if you are prepared to do the required maintenance on it, i.e. clean it fairly often and re-oiling to make sure it actually does filter out dirt and contaminants.  Whether yur V10 will benefit from a K&N will depend on whether it is currently having difficulty getting enough intake air under normal operating conditions. Most engines don't have any such problem except perhaps under heavy acceleration,r at very high RPMs or at high altitudes where air is "thin", but individual configurations can vary a lot.

I AGREE as with anything proper maintenace is the difference.  I don't think there is a thing worth anything that doesn't have critics from politics to tires there is always someone on the other side of the debate :)

Ron, I have to disagree with you on the k&n. Ive been using one in an off road open engine car for at least 15 years. No clogged carbs or anything in them. Friends I race with have used standard filters and get loads of dust/sand in their carbs. I plan on getting one for my new coach (v10) at the first service where it needs changing. As everybody has stated also-maintenance is necessary with these, but the payoff is worth the little work.

I have to admit I have no first hand experience with KN filters.  After reading a couple reports of testing done on several different brand air filters the KN was the worst.  Based on this information, I made what I believe to be an informed decision never to use a K&N filter unless I see actual testing results that show different improved results.    Guess we will have to just agree to disagree.

My 2 cents worth: I've had a K&N on my twin-turbo Stealth for years and have never had a problem; just better performance. Yes, you do have to clean and oil it, but you also have to change regular air filters. I clean mine in gasoline and re-oil it with Marvel Mystery Oil, then blow out the excess with a compressor. Mass air sensor and intake runners stay clean as a whistle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom