Ford V10 Towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motojavaphil

I have always used a cummins to tow with but currently have the chance to pick up a Ford V10 Gas.  I have not used a gas engine to tow with ever and was just wondering if the V10 can do the job.  I have a 36 foot 5r with a dry weight around 9,000lbs and a GVWR of 14000.  TL rates it in there but it sure is close.  Anyone had experience with the V10 and will it be safe?  Will this Ford stand up to the work of towing?  Any help will be appreciated.

2006F350

Should work OK, but don't expect great milage with or without a trailer. Folks I've talked with usually run in the low to mid 10's when pulling and mid 13's empty, which is about 3 MPG less that I get with the 6.0L Diesel

Larry

motojavaphil

Thanx Larry.  I knew I would be taking a hit in the gas mileage department.  Still wondering if Ford made a reliable motor with that V10.  I see a lot on the market.  I will not be driving it that much, mostly for towing and chore duties.  Again, thank you.

Phil

motojavaphil

Thanx, RV Roamer.  I failed to ask about the Dodge V10.  Looks like a good motor.  I'd appreciate any input on this hauler...Thanx ahead of time  Phil

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Don't hear much about the Dodge V10 as a hauler - everybody wants the Cummins in the Dodge. You just don't see many Dodge V10 trucks and I can't remember seeing any at all hauling Rvs.

Fuel consumption is the number one drawback to large gas engines in a hauler. It will likely be about 1.5 X of what a diesel would get in the same rig. That's a big hit these days and more than offsets the higher price of diesel fuel in many states.

motojavaphil

Thanx TV Roamer.  Got a Dodge V10.  Thirsty little truck, 10mpg on a good day!  Thats fine tho as it will have limited use till we retire and then it is back to diesel.  A Used truck so I went thru the brakes, replaced, the steering box, replaced and some other goodies.  Dodge automatics are now a concern but not a problem.  Any info on them?  Sure do miss my cummin's! 

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Dodge automatics are now a concern but not a problem.  Any info on them?

Last I heard, Dodge had ruled against use of diesel exhaust brakes with their automatics and they hd a torque limitation as well - could not use the 300 HP version of the Cummins with the automatic but could use it with the 6 speed manual.

You really need a 5 or 6 speed for serious hauling, so the Chevy/GMC with the Allsion or  a late model Ford with the 5 speed auto is the way to go. Or plan on adding a Gear Vendors auxiliary tranny to a 4 speed.

Thrumpskin

FYI - I have an 2003 F250 super duty v10. I own a 32ft cougar dry weight 8900. I towed it from Boise, Id to Las Vegas and averaged 7 Miles per gallon. did not have problems in the power of towing just the hit in the gas mileage. Getting up to speed was not bad either. On some of the flats i was even passing semi's going about 75. On the worst climbs i was going 55 mph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cegc1964
Top Bottom