Ford vs. Workhorse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irvsiegel

The Workhorse chassis is priced at $2980 more than the Ford chassis for the Fleetwood Terra LX 34N.  What added value is there to the Workhorse chassis?  Is it actually worth nearly three thousand dollars more?

Good question... In my expierence there may be a differece, or not.  I do not have facts for Motorhomes

However on smaller trucks Ford tends to put a class 2 body on a class one frame,  Whereas GM tends to put a class 2 body on a class 3 frame.  (Think like hitch  classes) NOTE: this is a metaphore  But the point is GM somewhat overbuilds (actually it's a class 2 body on a class 2.1 frame) where as ford tends to underbuild.  That is for smaller trucks.  For BIG trucks I simply do not know and a Motor Home is a big truck.

Myself, I like GM better, and WCC (Workhorse Custom Chassis) has taken the time to help me and contact me way better than Ford ever did when I had their products (Again  NOT BIG TRUCKS)

That's why they make more than one kind to choose from.  If it says GMC anywhere on it, I wouldn't even test drive it .  But that is my opoinion and no one elses, In fact I'd pay more for the Ford.

I don't usually join in these A v/s B frays, but  I think the Allison transmission is what commands the extra dollars. 

Like Shayne,  I'll take the Ford and live with their trannys before I'll drive a GM.  JMVHO.

Darn! I wish I could match my old 460 with an Allison...
Talk about a tall dog...........lol

lou

Shayne said:
That's why they make more than one kind to choose from.

Absolutely agree Shayne.  Choices are a good thing.
In fact I believe in something called the law of requisite variety.
"So long as total choices > Total fatal choices... You live

I refuse to argue Ford vs Chevy in broad terms, but would be happy to discuss a particular chassis vs another.  So which Ford chassis (model and GVWR) and which Workhorse?  If the Ford is the F53 with a V10 and their new 5 speed automatic, I'd say its every bit the equal of the Workhorse W20/W22 and I'd spend my $3000 on something else I wanted. But if its a Ford 4 speed vs the 5 or 6 speed Allison you would get on the Workhorse W20 or W22, then the extra money is well spent.  But now if its a Workhorse W16 or W18 with the standard 6.0L Vortec and GM 4 speed, then maybe its back equal with the Ford again.

Workhorse does use stronger, stiffer steel than the Fords (50,000 psi vs 36,000 psi) and probably some other more rugged components here and there too. Whether that justifies an extra $3000 is arguable, though.

I've owned both Ford and Workhorse chassis motorhomes and have had good service from both. Each had some plusses and minuses, but mostly small things and nothing that would make me always choose one over the other. For that matter, nothing really big except when Workhorse first introduced the 5 (now 6) speed Allison transmission while Ford tried to make do with their 4 speed 4R100.  For that advantage alone I gladly paid $3000 extra back in 2002.

Gary,

As I said in my earlier post,  the Allison transmission alone warrents a premium of some size.  I just wish it were available as a replacement in my old F53/460. 

It doesn't affect me one way or the other what's available in today's motorhomes because I'm not in the market for an upgrade.

Maybe in a few years, if my health holds, I'll look at a newer unit. 

lou

the Allison transmission alone warrents a premium of some size.

It certainly did vs the previous 4R100 4 speed Ford, but the 5 speed Ford is arguably its equal. It does a fine job in the F53 and Ford pick-ups, at any rate. WH had to upgrade to the 6 speed Allison in the W20/W22 to maintain bragging rights as far as transmission go. 

But none of the Terra models that I know of are built on the W20 or W22 chassis, so the Allison tranny is not germane to this question. I believe WH/Terra uses the W16 and W18 only.  The  Ford/Terra models are on the 18,000 lb version of the F53 and it does indeed have the Ford 5 speed, so it may be that Ford has an edge in this particular comparison.

Bottom line is that not all Workhorse chassis are superior to any & all Ford chassis. Life just ain't that simple.  ::)

"But none of the Terra models that I know of are built on the W20 or W22 chassis, so the Allison tranny is not germane to this question. I believe WH/Terra uses the W16 and W18 only.  The  Ford/Terra models are on the 18,000 lb version of the F53 and it does indeed have the Ford 5 speed, so it may be that Ford has an edge in this particular comparison."

Hi,
New member here, found this thread while searching Terra LX 34N. Just to clarify, the 34N is available with the W22, Chevy 8.1,      6 speed Allison tranny. This is part of why I was searching.
We currently have a 29 foot Class C with the Ford V10 5 speed.  This drivetrain seems quite powerful and the tranny is great for climbing.
My question is: Is there any reason not to opt for the Chevy with the 6 speed. It seems the price difference is not that signifcant. I have owned Ford, GM, and imports, so I'm not brand loyal.  It just seems more speeds on a tranny is better, especially here in So. Cal. were we are constantly going up and down hills.
Thanks for any insight

Camping Time said:
"But none of the Terra models that I know of are built on the W20 or W22 chassis, so the Allison tranny is not germane to this question. I believe WH/Terra uses the W16 and W18 only.  The  Ford/Terra models are on the 18,000 lb version of the F53 and it does indeed have the Ford 5 speed, so it may be that Ford has an edge in this particular comparison."

Hi,
New member here, found this thread while searching Terra LX 34N. Just to clarify, the 34N is available with the W22, Chevy 8.1,      6 speed Allison tranny. This is part of why I was searching.
We currently have a 29 foot Class C with the Ford V10 5 speed.  This drivetrain seems quite powerful and the tranny is great for climbing.
My question is: Is there any reason not to opt for the Chevy with the 6 speed. It seems the price difference is not that signifcant. I have owned Ford, GM, and imports, so I'm not brand loyal.  It just seems more speeds on a tranny is better, especially here in So. Cal. were we are constantly going up and down hills.
Thanks for any insight

I wound up purchasing a Fleetwood Fiesta LX 34N.  The Fiesta line is identical to the Terra line except for the choice of interior/exterior colors.  The dealer (Sun Coast in Jacksonville, FL) only had the Workhorse Chassis in stock, and told me that he wouldn't sell me the Ford for any less.  There had been a special promotion going on where dealers were buying Workhourse motorhomes for the same price as the Ford (I think that Ford was not able to deliver their product for some reason, hence the "special.")  We are very pleased with the Workhorse and associated 6 speed Allison transmission.

I have the holiday rambler vacationer on the w22 workhorse body.  And looking at the specs in the book the rate the w22 at 800 lbs more gross vehicle weight rating over the ford.  And they rate the w22 with 2000 more pounds total combined weight rating over the ford.  This is the info from their owners manual that came with our home.  Example Front Gross axle rate ford 7500 workhorse 8000,  gross vehicle combined weight rating ford 24000 workhorse 26000.  Rear gross axle weight rating was the same at 14500,  hope that helps ya some as well, or you might ask to look at the manual for what you are interested in and see what it say. 

Not sure if it's still true but at one time the Workhorse chassis had more height and the basement compartments were bigger because of that. The doghouse was also significantly lower in the workhorse as well. Since Ford upgraded the V10, the difference in power and torgue is not all that much. I do like it that the Allison tranny will engage on slow-down to work much like a jake-brake in a diesel.

Tsalla Apopka said:
Not sure if it's still true but at one time the Workhorse chassis had more height and the basement compartments were bigger because of that. The doghouse was also significantly lower in the workhorse as well. Since Ford upgraded the V10, the difference in power and torgue is not all that much. I do like it that the Allison tranny will engage on slow-down to work much like a jake-brake in a diesel.

We looked at both chassis before purchasing our RV, and indeed the doghouse on the Workhorse was significantly lower than that of the Ford.

Just to clarify, the 34N is available with the W22, Chevy 8.1,      6 speed Allison tranny.

Yeap, the Terra LX is a bigger coach on the larger W22 chassis. If there is a Ford version of the LX, it's probably the higher rated F53 as well. Ford offers the F53 in several load ranges and doesn't change the model designation like Workhorse does.

Back
Top Bottom