Found a "Cool" new tool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HueyPilotVN

I found a really cool tool.

I have been changing all the fluids and filters on the coach since I got home from Quartzsite.

I changed the main diesel engine oil and filter, the transmission fluid with Transyn and filters, I still have to change the antifreeze over from the older SCA type to the newer ELC type that does not need the additives in the coach cooling system as well as changing the Cummins Onan generator antifreeze.

In watching UTube Videos in preparation for doing the changes I discovered a new tool that makes it
easier and quicker to change the fluid in the cooling system.  Some of you may already know about this
system, but I did not.

This tool creates a vacuum in the cooling system to get all the trapped air out of the system and then
quickly lets you refill into the vacuum and then does not require you to keep adding fluid as the air gets
out of the cooling system.

It works on the same principal as the Venturi vent covers that some of us have on our roof that creates a
vacuum to pull air out of the tanks vents.

I attached a few pictures.

The tool fits in the opening for the radiator cap and turning the top expands the base to fit tightly.

A line from your air compressor connects to a fitting that blows air across an opening creating a vacuum
that pulls any air out of the cooling system and has a gauge that shows how much vacuum is created.

When you hit 25 inches Hg you close the valve.  You can actually see the hoses collapse from the vacuum.

You then disconnect the fitting and connect the hose to the filling source, open the valves and the fluid
is sucked into the cooling system.

The adapters fit different size radiator cap openings.

The system costs about $120 and anybody that takes me up on the free RV site is welcome to use it to change their fluid.

Actually I have tools, drain pans, and room to change any fluid you might want to change.  The NAPA
down the hill will take the old fluids for recycling.

Not sure what I have to do to get some Framily company, Although, Chet and Laurie are coming the end
of September.

Attachments

• r20180803_201300.jpg
    r20180803_201300.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 128
  • r20180803_201651.jpg
    r20180803_201651.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 138
  • r20180803_202040.jpg
    r20180803_202040.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 108
  • r20180803_202206.jpg
    r20180803_202206.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 97
SargeW said:
That is a cool tool Bill! You are turning into a regular service center!

Of course then he would need one of these. You'd look cute Bill. Where's my camera.  :eek: ::) ;D

https://www.google.com/search?q=service+gas+station+hat&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=ZS49L83stzkj1M%253A%252C0c-XNnESBuswAM%252C_&usg=AFrqEzdnwdsob8xOAHNtLW8gP7s1meevsQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi6gL-949PcAhURnlkKHTyCB1IQ9QEwEXoECAUQBA#imgrc=ZS49L83stzkj1M:

Rene T said:
Of course then he would need one of these. You'd look cute Bill. Where's my camera.  :eek: ::) ;D

https://www.google.com/search?q=service+gas+station+hat&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=ZS49L83stzkj1M%253A%252C0c-XNnESBuswAM%252C_&usg=AFrqEzdnwdsob8xOAHNtLW8gP7s1meevsQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi6gL-949PcAhURnlkKHTyCB1IQ9QEwEXoECAUQBA#imgrc=ZS49L83stzkj1M:

♪♫ Were the men from Texaco, we work from Main to Mexico♫♪ There's nothing like this Texaco of ours♪♫
Just ask Uncle Miltie.

Hey,  I already have a hat and it has a fake ponytail connected to the back of it.

About 25 years ago I gave a class on computers one night at the St. Johnsbury Academy in Vermont.

I wore the hat all thru the night.  It made me look like a hippy nerd or a computer geek.  I took it off at the end of the class revealing my normal short hair.

Now do not go beating me up about long hair.

OK, I actually used the new tool today.

Spent most of the afternoon changing and flushing the Antifreeze in the Cummings ISC diesel in my DP.

Learned a lot to pass on in case you want to change yours.

I drained it, back flushed it and then flushed it with distilled water, commercial cleaner, purple power, and some dawn dish soap, second rinse with only distilled water and then a final fill with ELC type coolant.

First thing I learned was that the only way to drain my radiator was by disconnecting the large hose at the bottom of the radiator.  There is no petcock, at least none that I or my helper Mario could find.

I drained the antifreeze into a 66 quart plastic storage bin that I have two of for this type use.

I removed the thermostat to allow for easier flushing and so that the fluid would circulate right away after starting up the engine.

I went up to the front and found the two heater hoses by the dash heater core and inserted a flushing tee to be able to back flush the heater core and the entire system.

I did this with the bottom hose disconnected and with the thermostat housing removed and before the first refill with distilled water and cleaners.

The first use of the vacuum fill device was for the water and cleaners.  It worked just as in the Utube video and very quickly sucked the fluid from a 5 gallon bucket into the expansion tank.  I kept adding more fluid as it went down and I had to be fairly quick in keeping enough in the bucket to keep the pickup covered.  I started the engine and ran it for 30 minutes to circulate the cleaning fluid.  I had .closed up the system and replaced the thermostat housing but left the thermostat out for the flushes.

The next flush was just pure distilled water.  Each of these flushes took about 10 gallons of fluid.  I am sure that some fluid remains after each drain.

The final fill was mostly the full strength ELC, (8 gallons followed by 2 gallons of distilled water to fill to the sight gauge in the expansion tank).  I filled it this way because I believe that the entire system takes just over 15 gallons and by putting 8 gallons of full strength coolant I would end up with close to a 50/50 mix that is called for.

Final task was to replace the coolant filter.  There is a valve that you turn 90 degrees to shut off the filter before changing it,  I used a NAPA 4070 filter which is the same size as the SCA filter but does not contain the additive because the ELC coolant does not require it and has a longer life that the older style SCA coolant.

After the fluid change was finished I had to transfer about 10 gallons of the original antifreeze from the 66 quart storage bin to the bottles from the new antifreeze.

This is where I got a pleasant surprise.  I had bought a fluid transfer pump from my favorite grazing store a while back.  I put batteries in it as was very shocked at how fast and clean the transfer into the jugs was.

Without pictures it did not happen.

Attachments

• r20180805_121027.jpg
    r20180805_121027.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 41
  • r20180805_161440.jpg
    r20180805_161440.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 35
  • r20180805_161447.jpg
    r20180805_161447.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 36
  • r20180805_165210.jpg
    r20180805_165210.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 33
  • r20180805_185738.jpg
    r20180805_185738.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 37
Thank you Sir.

When you need to service your new rig bring it by the Redneck Free RV Shop.

Tools are free, full hookup camping is free, bring your own fluids and filters. 

Might even have some free give away stuff.

I had bought one several years ago for Ford diesel. They are a PITA to get the air out without it. They work very well.

You will love that Airlift the more you use it Bill.  Many of today's modern cars are next to impossible to get the proper amount of coolant into them because the engine is actually higher than the radiator therefore trapping air in the system that cannot easily be removed. 

I bought that exact same Airlift tool about 15 years ago now and it gets used a LOT.  I purchased the smaller adapters and used it on snowmobiles and use it on motorcycles as well for the same reasons.

The other major advantage that I like it for is that I can pull a vacuum, walk away and go do something else for about 10 minutes and come back and check on the vacuum.  If the system is tight the vacuum should hold.  If there is a leak somewhere you will know it long before you fill the system with coolant.  Much less mess and saves time to find out if there is a clamp or something not sealing before you actually fill it.

Mike

OK, Today I did the Generator service.

I will give the model and capacities in case anyone needs them.  It took me awhile to look them up.

The generator is a Cummins Onan HDKAJ 7.5 KW diesel.

It takes 2.8 quarts of oil, and 4 quarts of antifreeze.

I changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, and antifreeze.

I did a little comparison test on the antifreeze filling on the generator.  First I drained the coolant with the radiator cap and expansion tank cap off.  After putting the bottom drain cap back on I refilled it in the normal manner into the radiator cap opening.  I started the generator to let it run for 1/2 hour with the cleaner in the system.  It quit after about 5 minutes because of the high temp shutdown.  It is very hard to get all the fluid in without waiting quite awhile and refilling at the radiator cap.  I then drained it and refilled using the Airlift system and it pulled a 30 inch vacuum right away, (much smaller capacity system that the ISC), and the antifreeze sucked right into the system in less than a minute.  It is a much better way to refill.  On the Utube video the guy was talking about checking it three or four time over a week or so with the traditional fill method.  The filling of the expansion tank is the same with either system of filling.

Pictures.

Edit:  I spent a few hours yesterday trying to get rid of 9 gallons of antifreeze.  Napa said no, the place that does my car maintenance said no, three more auto part stores said no, and the fire station said no.  I called city hall. they put me on to a radiator shop in town called "Any Freeze".  They said fine bring it over and if we are closed after 5 just leave it by the front window.  Sometimes it is hard to do the right thing and recycle.  Anyway if you come by to change your antifreeze we do have a place to get rid of the old coolant.

Second strange thing that happened today was that the air filter was half encased with a cotton like substance with an acorn in it.  A squirrel must have built a nest sometime,  It did not restrict the airflow as far as I know.

Attachments

• r20180807_191657.jpg
    r20180807_191657.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 28
  • r20180807_191703.jpg
    r20180807_191703.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 33

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member