Found my Van to Convert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Took delivery on the cl IV trailer hitch yesterday so will be installing it today and post pics later.

At any event, this van has a wheel chair lift that's in very good condition.  OP said they used the van and lift only for Doctors appointment thus the low mileage.

I'd like to donate the lift to someone or an organization that can use it. I'm located in the Sacramento, Ca area.  I called a couple local handicap businesses but aren't interested.

Attachments

• IMG_4209.jpg
    IMG_4209.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4235.jpg
    IMG_4235.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4193.jpg
    IMG_4193.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 22
The DOT Private use marking would certainly preclude any business from using it.
Maybe there are volunteer groups that try to find medical equipment for those in need?

I called several handicap businesses with no luck. I've listed it on craigslist but no replies.
I'll give it another week or two then it goes to the dumps. I have no room to store.
OP said they paid over $5k installed.
Sad...I'm sure someone could use it.

BTW I finished the hitch installation.  Quite easy.

Attachments

• IMG_4268.jpg
    IMG_4268.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4275.jpg
    IMG_4275.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 22
When my mom & then my wife passed, it took me a bit to find a group that takes ?durable medical equipment? that was pleased to be able to give my walkers, crutches and such to needy people.

Check out the companies that install lifts like you have. Perhaps they would like to do a good deed?

I finally found a taker for the lift for his wife.  He and I unbolted the fasteners and I disconnected the wiring.  Was relatively easy and took about 40 minutes to remove and load in the bed of his truck.
I haven't done anymore on the van other than putting the dog's crate for the dog I rescued.  He loves to ride when I drive to town on errands. I got him about the same time I bought the van.

Attachments

• IMG_4327.jpg
    IMG_4327.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 26
Seon said:
I finally found a taker for the lift for his wife.  He and I unbolted the fasteners and I disconnected the wiring.  Was relatively easy and took about 40 minutes to remove and load in the bed of his truck.
I haven't done anymore on the van other than putting the dog's crate for the dog I rescued.  He loves to ride when I drive to town on errands. I got him about the same time I bought the van.

Cool dog.  That's an Airdale Terrier, right?  Neat little dog.

That looks like a Bull Terrier to me.  Airdales are large dogs.

Your van and project look great.  I'll bet it tows your trailer well.  Keep us posted on pics, we love to help spending others money  ;)

Although I have a finished sofa bed that I placed in the van already, but the problem is that I need to modify the legs wider so I can install a 48"wide x 72" long "slider tray" underneath that'll make it easier to load and unload camping gear.
So I found a "frame only" sofa bed on craigslist that I cleaned and painted.  Then I'll cut, place and re-weld the legs wider.

Then buy bed cushions, fabricate and sew covers for it.

Attachments

• IMG_4441.jpg
    IMG_4441.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 10
Stripped cushions off the sofa bed frame, cleaned and painted.
Using the old cushions cut and sewed upholstery material. New cushions to be delivered next week then will permanently install the seats on the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_4441.jpg
    IMG_4441.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4502.jpg
    IMG_4502.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4504.jpg
    IMG_4504.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4500.jpg
    IMG_4500.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4499.jpg
    IMG_4499.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 4
My van's tag expires this month so I went to Ca. DMV with the title to have it changed from Commercial to auto plates. Got there 15 minutes before they opened and already had about 10 customers in line. Fortunately most were for drivers written test so I was number 4 to the counter where I was instructed to pull the van in front of the building for inspections. Supervisor even accompanied the clerk. After matching all the 4 VIN stickers against the title located at different area on the van it was smooth sailing other than being told I can not remove the sofa bed other wise the empty van is considered commercial. Naturally I agreed and got new auto plates that costed half as much as the renewal fee for the commercial plates.

Not much else to do to the van other than load camping gear for when I go fishing.
Van will be my TV for the 28' TT for when the wife and I camp.

I also tow my 23.5 Duckworth boat when I ocean fish (3 hrs drive) for Salmon, Rockfish and Dungeness crabbing and usually leave early morning. But now will leave the night before and park at the launch ramp lot and get a couple of hour sleep in the Van until the day break.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom