Fox weather launches weather app.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is what the Apple App Store says about data from this product. This is a lot of data to capture.

Attachments

• 709D92ED-D07D-42B8-89AD-617852A56672.png
    709D92ED-D07D-42B8-89AD-617852A56672.png
    289.4 KB · Views: 9
For example, some apps keep track of your location all the time. That information can be used to modify the ad list you see when you are in a store.

It can be even more sinister. If they sell the data to Starbucks and Starbucks determines that you stop for coffee every morning at Second Cup at 7:45AM on the way to work, you will soon find an advertisement with a discount coupon pushed to your phone for Starbucks at 7:35 - before you get to Second Cup. They will literally use your own data to modify your behaviour so they can increase profits.

I use the Accuweather app that comes with my phone for current conditions and forecasts. I also installed an app called My Radar. I used this a lot more when I rode motorcycles than I do now, but I like it's radar map better than the one from Accuweather.

My go to weather app has been the NOAA Weather Unofficial app for the past few years.

It’s funny but that NOAA weather App is not at all affiliated with NOAA at all but they use their name. Read the fine print just below the picture in that App.

It’s funny but that NOAA weather App is not at all affiliated with NOAA at all but they use their name. Read the fine print just below the picture in that App.
Maybe that's why the app title says, "Unofficial"? ;)

The weather data, radar imaging, etc, the app uses comes directly from NOAA, and the developer appears to have a good relationship with them.

If you turn off the tracker on your phone, does that really turn it off, or do they still track you?

It can be even more sinister. If they sell the data to Starbucks and Starbucks determines that you stop for coffee every morning at Second Cup at 7:45AM on the way to work, you will soon find an advertisement with a discount coupon pushed to your phone for Starbucks at 7:35 - before you get to Second Cup. They will literally use your own data to modify your behaviour so they can increase profits.

Oh, it gets more sinister than that.

How many apps have access to your camera, microphone, and photos? Might want to check.

Facebook listens and watches, and it's not the only app that does it.

Someone mentioned above that if the app is free, then YOU are the product. That is truth. The app is there to provide you with an anecdotal feature like displaying the weather, but its economic purpose is to target ads to you, and collect data about you, your habits, what you look at and do on your phone, etc.

Fox is another horrible media company for profit, like they all are.

Phone tracking happens continuously as you move. That data is captured by phone companies for use in charging you. The data can be accessed via court order, not from advertisers. The ad tracking occurs if you allow it, depending g on the brand of phone. iPhones came out with a way to keep personalized trackers from being transmitted to advertisers if you tell it to do so. I don’t know if Android phones have that function. Most phones also allow you to turn off “location service” where your location is received by the app. But note you need that to be sent if you are doing things like mapping. It is all a balancing act.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom