Free to Air Satellite Receivers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi Guys

Does anyone use a Free to Air Satellite Receiver, rather than subscribe to Dish Network et al.

It seems a waste to let our Tracvision Dish just sit there on the roof. To be honest, it would be good to see if it IS actually there inside that dome.? ;D

As we will be in Canada and Alaska, before returning to the US for 6 months and then going back to the UK, it is not worth subscribing to DN and others.

I just wondered what the FTA Receivers were like in terms of picture quality and channel choice?

I see they can be purchased from ?100+

Thanks
Paul

Paul,

Could you tell us more about the FTA receivers, where you buy them and which channels you can receive.

If you signed up for Direct TV or Dish, they probably allow you to suspend service for the time you're out of the U.S.

Free to Air channels are transmitted from multiple satellites and have nothing to do with Dish Network or DirecTV.  I'm not sure the Tracvision antenna will even be able to lock onto those satellites.  See http://www.tech-faq.com/free-to-air-satellite.shtml for information on FTA and the requirements to receive the FTA channels.

Hi Tom

Here's a link for USA accessible Free Channels - there will Im sure be 90% rubbish, but when in a campground with only 1 TV channel it will at least pass some time scanning thru the remaining 10%.

http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html

A google for "free to air satellite receivers" will provide loads of places selling the equipment.

http://www.google.com/search?source...-33,RNWE:en&q=free+to+air+satellite+receivers

BUT, I can't seem to find anyone actually using the stuff....

Im not sure the small Tracvision Dish is big enough for the job.

Cheers
Paul

Ned,

;D I had that link too - but it is so full of google ads etc that you cant read the page - a definate case of ad-link overkill I think.

Paul

Tom

Someone said you can place DN 'on hold' at $5 per month or something like that. But as we are going to be in the US for just 7 months between now and next April, it isnt worth the cost of paying for a minimum 12 month subscription.

Paul

Many campgrounds have cable tv, either included in the price, or as an addon.  One advantage of cable is you don't have to worry about trees in the way :)

I didn't see the ads as I run the AdBlocker extension on Firefox.  The site does have a lot of links to related sites.

Oh, here is some FTA (Free to Air) information.  I do have a CoolSat 500oP sitting (Unplugged) in my motor home, I'm unable to configure it at this time, the reason is geographical, not technical (I did manage to find a window that lets me see my internet sattalite so it's set up (but currently unplugged too since I'm at home) I may be using it during tomorrow's Campfire)

This is where you find discussion on FTA receivers such as the coolsat, they also discuss dishes, instalation and the commericial services.  NOTE: Theft of service is NOT discussed here, you can not watch DirecTV on a CoolSat or other FTA receiver, (Nobody has broken the codec they use, at least that we know of offically) and you may not watch Dish TV shows either.. This however does not mean you can't find most all the TV you will ever want including all the networks as they are broadcasted un-encoded on many birds and the key word here is BROADCASTED as opposed to "Delivered"

Discussion link:
http://www.al7bar.tk/

ONE, and I stress ONE equipment provider,,, I do not think this is the one I got my coolsat from
http://www.dreamboxwarehouse.com/free_usa_satellite_tv_1610_ctg.php

Yet another provider... I'll check this one

http://www.dssboxes.com/

I think this is the company (Auto Accessories or something like that when you boil them down) I ordered from

I got speedy delivery, can not speak to after market support yet however as I can not get a good fix on a bird to test with due to the trees near me

Will (when the weather improves) try the other side of 83 (Fewer trees on that side of the dish, and I think I'll be shooting OVER the neighbor's roof)

NOTE: I have yet to watch so much as one second of FTA television.. But I will post more later when (not if) I succeed

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of it nor have I ralked with anyone who uses it. Sounds like something the WiFi freeloaders or WalMart campers would want.

It is a bit more than that Tom....  The difference between "Wi-Fi" freeloaders and FTA is that FTA is paid for.. Just like OTA (Over the air) broadcast (IE: channel 2-62)

When you free-load on Wi-Fi normally you don't pay, and you don't read/view/hear ads from folks paying your "host"

but with FTA, you do see those ads, just like if you watched the local television broadcaster.  And they (The networks or the broadcaster) pay the sat provider out of the ad income.  Just like my local Channel 7 pays the power company for electricity to "beam" theirselves into my home... Some stations pay Hughs or someone to beam them all over the country

Tom said:
Sounds like something the WiFi freeloaders or WalMart campers would want.

Tom, need to get that guy to write some more lines to the song.

Wow, sitting in your RV in Walmart free parking lot, with free Interent on neighbors Directway, watching free TV on you Free to Air Receiver and on Free VOIP SKYPE video phone with some camper in Outer Mongolia.

Tom said:
Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of it nor have I ralked with anyone who uses it. Sounds like something the WiFi freeloaders or WalMart campers would want.

Careful Tom, I'm a Walmart camper on occassion but NOT a WIFI freeloader. ::) ::)

Jeff /Washington said:
I'm a Walmart camper on occassion

Not so Jeff; You're a WM overnighter. I doubt you put out the BBQ, the lawn chairs, fake grass and all the other trimmings.

LOL Bob. Those would be good additional lyrics for the song.

John In Detroit said:
.... FTA is paid for..

John, are you saying there's a fee for FTA, or that the "cost" is having to watch ads?

Tom said:
Not so Jeff; You're a WM overnighter. I doubt you put out the BBQ, the lawn chairs, fake grass and all the other trimmings.

Guess you are right.  ;D We did manage one WM for about 10 hours in Mesa on the way to Tucson. No slides, sat dishes, OR BBQ.!

Mick

I dont know yet.

Just because the coach came with a fitted dish, wasnt the key factor for buying it.

It is only after spending time at the last 2 TT Campgrounds and only getting a total of 3 TV Channels, that I thought I would look into using it.

I think Ian H has one on his coach and I THINK he uses his for Satellite in the UK.

As the size of the Dish is fine for receiving the signals from Dish Network et al, it must be big enough and/or powerful enough to receive the FTA signals too.

I'm just trying to find the best FTA Receiver for the job - hopefully one which can be used in Europe when we get back too.

Paul

PS Thanks for the links guys - especially the forum link - I tried to post a Thank You last night but whatever I did I couldnt get it to post.

:) Hi UK-RV (Paul). I have the US Satellite Dish fitted to my Newmar. I have tried it here in the UK and get lots of signals from different Satellites. I just haven't managed to get what I am looking for yet. Will keep trying and let you know of the outcome sometime before you return to the UK. By the way. Although the US TV standard is NTSC and the UK PAL. The TV's you have should be OK to use with Satellite in Europe providing you use an NTSC to PAL convertor. Otherwise the picture will be Black and White.? ;D

If you are using a Free to Air receiver and dish,  There are a few URL's you might wish to know

For those in Euroope, Africa & the Middle East

http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html

If you are in the US:

Or somewhere nearby (North Americia)

http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/North-America.html

You can link from either of these two sites (i'm sure of the 2nd) to any part of the globe you happen to be roaming around in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom