freedom 20 inverter wont switch.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paula36c

my freedom 20 will run all my AC outlets and lights off the batteries but when I plug my camper into shore power the inverter does not switch to 120 AC it shuts everything down. We bought 4 new batteries. still same problem.

Most likely the transfer relay K2 or K3 inside the inverter is bad, or the spade terminals (some call them quick connect terminals) connected to them are bad.  I had the spade terminals fail on mine several years ago and while I was inside it I replaced all three of the relays, they are about $4 each.  I just Googled the number on the relay and bought online.  Look at the attached schematic and you will see why it must be the relay or terminals.

The following is for others that may have a problem, with the Heart Freedom 20 inverter.    I attached a simple schematic that I created while I was troubleshooting a persistent problem I have been having for over 14 yrs.  Every now and then the battery charger function would not work.  I found that by giving the inverter a "Fonsey slap" it would start working again, sometimes just for a few days, other times for years. 

The symptoms were this.  The inverter always worked great.  When the charger would not work I work "Fonsey slap" it and after ten seconds it would start charging with a slow ramp up like it should.  Looking over the schematic I knew the problem had to be isolated to relay K1 or the circuit associated with it.  So I carefully inspected all the copper traces and solder connections using magnifier glasses and a flashlight.  Low and behold the solder joint was cracked at the high voltage side of the control power transformer.  The symptoms fit the find exactly.

A simple solder repair was made and all is well once again.  If this helps someone else please let me know that my time was not wasted in this message.

Thanks,
Rick Martin
Palmyra, WI

Attachments

• Heart Freedom 20 schematic 1605.pdf
    24.7 KB · Views: 11
ricknsharon said:
Most likely the transfer relay K2 or K3 inside the inverter is bad, or the spade terminals (some call them quick connect terminals) connected to them are bad.  I had the spade terminals fail on mine several years ago and while I was inside it I replaced all three of the relays, they are about $4 each.  I just Googled the number on the relay and bought online.  Look at the attached schematic and you will see why it must be the relay or terminals.

Check the rating on those relays as Heart tended to use marginal ones.  Most likely the solder joint is bad but it could be the relay itself although that is unusual.  If you replace he relay, get one that is the same pin out but a higher current rating.

Back
Top Bottom