Freeway phobias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jim,

Socrates always loved being a 'free-range' cat before our lifesytle change, and I didn't think it was fair to him to keep him cooped up inside after all those years of freedom. Hercule, on the other hand, will be brought up as a leash cat and is already very comfortable with his harness. Besides, he's so full of p--s and vinegar that I'm afraid he'd traumatize the local fuana regardless of type or size! ;D ;D ;D

Bob

>> Bob, if you ever come through San Diego, we have a couple of lofty bridges....one on I-805 that crosses Mission Valley and loops onto I-8 and the other that crosses the San Diego harbor over to Coronado.
====
Yes, have been over the Coronado bridge back in the 70's and early 80's. That was always in a rental car - never did it in an RV. I was working for the Feds at the time running their data processing training center for OPM. We did a lot of DP training for the Navy and other agencies in the San Diego area. Was one of my favorite places to travel (other than when they forced me to travel to Honolulu) :).

My most favorite thing to do was dinner at Reuben's - specifically their rack of lamb w/mint jelly. They did a side dish with breaded artichoke hearts cooked and served in a small skillet w/butter that I have never found anywhere else. Can't remember which island it was on -- Shelter or Harbor.

Tom

Tom said:
One of my freeway phobias is when they put those temporary concrete barriers right on the white line or even inside your lane. Where it's legal, I'll switch lanes, but sometimes there's only two lanes and both have the barriers.

Here in Jersey we have the Garden State Parkway which crosses the Raritan river. In an effort to move more traffic and defer building a new bridge, several years ago it was restriped to 8 foot lanes. Eight foot lanes do not leave much room for a MH or 5'er at 96 inches. It is usually my luck to cross the bridge during a heavy traffic period, which is not  just typical of rush hour. Since NJ drivers are not very courteous and not having any lane leaway I will side step and take two lanes and say too bad. The other situation  is the one already poiinted out, construction and 8 foot lanes with Jersey barriers and trucks and trailers must keep right so you are working on the least visable side of the trailer.

Nelson

Nelson

I'd have no choice but to take two lanes  :)

Bob McNabb said:
Jim, the 1960's were the heady days that are now forever lost for the San Diego area. I was at the AMPHIB base in Underwater Demolitions at the close of WW11 and will never forget the enjoment of the Coronado Ferry. Brought my family back (from Ohio) to CA in 1959 and to San Diego shortly later. The ferry was still running and my sons loved the adventure of the run between Coronado and San Diego.

You probably wouldn't recognize much of San Diego now.

Hi Bob,

I didn't recognize much of San Diego in 1981!!!! :) I believe Bernie's was still there but much of the rest was changed. Star of India was still tied at the quay wall.

UDT!!!! I watched you guys in the harbor. They would drop the team off in the channel and then come flying by in an inflatable with one member holding a tube. The rest in the water had to grab it and be pulled aboard. I imagine anyone that missed would end up swimming home. ;D Also heard about the runs on the beach in full field pack and the swim in from the ocean. Never saw either of those.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom