Freezer cold...fridge not!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xtowergirl

We have a Dometic and our concern is the freezer is good and cold (about 5 degrees in the middle of the day) but the fridge cannot get below 50-55 degrees.  We have a battery operated fan (which is not blocked) that helped (last month).  The fridge is about 2/3rds full.  I read the post about someone with a similar problem but this unit is brand new and doesn't do this all the time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We have a new Keystone VR1, have had it out twice and back to the dealer twice. Our fridge is similar to yours (Dometic) with the same results. The dealer told us that the recovery time for these is real slow so you should minimize the door openings as much as possible. This isn't what I wanted to hear. I have found that it works a little better on gas that elect., but then you are using up your propane instead of the camp ground's elect.
    Am even less happy with the Dometic A/C. It only keeps the inside about 13 degrees cooler than the outside, not sufiecient for Texas heat.

50-55 is not normal and late model Dometic or Norcold fridges cool pretty quickly.  Since the freeze gets real cold, obviously the cooling unit is working fine.  And while recovery time is slower than a residential fridge and its wise NOT wise to leave the door open while you think about what to make for dinner, it's not that bad.

I'd check the door seals - warm air may be leaking in.  Probably not  in a new fridge, but worth a look. The quick test is to close a new dollar bill in the door and then pull it out slowly. Should be some resistance to movement at all points.

Probably more likely is a misplaced temperature sensor or simply blocked airflow.  There is a sensor clipped to the cooling coil inside the fridge, usually on the right side. Sliding this up or down a bit can affect the cooling.  Or it may even be defective. I suggest you call Dometic tech support for their advice.  Dometic Service

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom