Freezing Temperature of Poop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kportra

I thought might get someone's attention :-\
Hubby is considered taking trailer hunting.  It's winterized, but could he use the potty, throw water in behind it and be able to dump it when he gets home?  I know others use their trailers for hunting, so I was wondering what your common practices are?  It will be below freezing at night, but high 30's to mid 40's during the day.  And no - going outside wilderness style is not an option.

kportra said:
I thought might get someone's attention :-\
Hubby is considered taking trailer hunting.  It's winterized, but could he use the potty, throw water in behind it and be able to dump it when he gets home?  I know others use their trailers for hunting, so I was wondering what your common practices are?  It will be below freezing at night, but high 30's to mid 40's during the day.  And no - going outside wilderness style is not an option.

It would depend if the bottom side is closed in and if there are heat ducts in the basement.  We use to camp in the winter and instead of using water, we'd use windshield washer fluid. We'd start out by also dumping a gallon or so in the tank.

As others have said, it depends on the design of your trailer, having said that if the temperature is going to stay only slightly below freezing you should be ok (down to the mid 20's)

Well, at least it will start out at warm  ::)

Seriously, how will he flush it?  A little rv antifreeze would work I guess, but when he gets home, he still needs to flush it.  Don't mean to be gross, man up and take a box of good kitchen trash bags, line the toilet, be done.  Surely he can wiz outside.

If the temps are above 20 at night and mid 30s in the day, just use the toilet and flush with milk jugs filled with water.  Dump per normal when returning home.  The urine will depress the freezing point of the water.  Add some antifreeze (PINK!) if you feel the need for extra protection.

grashley said:
If the temps are above 20 at night and mid 30s in the day, just use the toilet and flush with milk jugs filled with water.  Dump per normal when returning home.  The urine will depress the freezing point of the water.  Add some antifreeze (PINK!) if you feel the need for extra protection.
That will work for much colder than 20 easily just try to dump when it's above freezing.
The valve may be frozen.

Great thread.  :D
I too am taking the camper to hunting camp this year. Going for a week. Although mine has a insulated and heated underbelly. I have a 2 day camping/ Crappie Tournament this weekend. Expecting night time temps to be low 30's and daily highs in the low 50's. This weekend will be a trial run.

Great input so far. When I winter tent camp, the outhouse seat is a tad cold at first, but warms up rather quickly. Never worried about how long it took for poop to freeze then.

Anther option is a 5 gallon bucket toilet. they make them for tent camping or on a boat. Inexpensive, but effective.
https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Luggable-Portable-Gallon/dp/B07BQDQ7H9

Thanks for all the responses - got the info I needed and a little more that I didn't (turdy two).

Quick update on my weekend camping/fishing trip. Temps dropped to low 30's both nights. Camper stayed nice and warm all night, propane heat is nice. My water never froze, thanks to the heated and insulated under belly. I have zero concerns about camping early/late winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom