Freightliner Wheel Cut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yolo

We owned a 2004 Winnebago Vectra for 3 years and I got used to the wheel cut in close quarters maneuvering.  We traded for a 2013 Thor and it is also on a Freightliner XC Chassis.  After a couple of occasions that normally I could make with the old coach, I find that the new coach has a 55 degree wheel cut (I beam axle) and the old one had 60 degree wheel cut (ZF independent front suspension).

After having to unhook the toad a couple of times to maneuver, I now have to relearn to drive in close quarters.  That 5 degrees is a big deal!  :)

Bill:

You are right, it makes a difference. We went from a 2001 Freightliner with a 50 degree cut to a 2006 with 60 degrees. I didn't have to unhook once all summer.

When I got in tight places I always think of Terry Brewer and their "Queen Mary" that takes up half of Quartzsite to maneuver. ;D

Jeff said:
When I got in tight places I always think of Terry Brewer and their "Queen Mary" that takes up half of Quartzsite to maneuver. ;D

You got that right....I only have 40-42 degree cut, with a 288" wheelbase.

My 268" Freightliner with ZF IFS has a 56 degree wheel cut. It practically scoots sideways when I put the wheel way over. I don't think I've ever had to go all the way to max turn. Love it, compared to the 45 degrees on previous coach.

I have been doing reading and researching for buying our first rv and a lot of reading here and other sites. We plan on attending our first RV show this Jan in Chantilly, VA. One of the things I remembered reading and a video from Lazydays is and this is outdated I am sure. If you have a 45 degree cut you would use your front bumper for judging when to turn or as reference point prior to a turn. On a 50 degree you use your hips. How would you adjust for the for the sharper cut in a turn. Thanks!!

Bill

Both wheel cut and wheel base have a major effect on the "when to turn" decision. The greater the wheel cut, the later you can turn and still get the front end around. And you need to turn later as the wheel base gets longer, to account for the "lag" of the longer wheel base.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom