Fresh water drain leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Forum member Robert (aka Caltex) found the fresh water tank drain valve on his Winnebago Vectra wasn't fully closing, resulting in a leak. The valve is operated by a handle in the service bay and a long cable that actuates the valve at the bottom of the tank.

A call to the dealer received the response "we don't know; we'll call Winnebago and call you back". When the dealer didn't call back, Robert called Winnebago and they suggested removing a large metal plate beneath the tank. This looked like a lot of work and, with little time left to depart on a trip, it was on to plan B.

The output of the drain valve is 1.5" PVC pipe, so it was a simple task to glue on e threaded adapter and cap the end.

Attachments

• FW_drain_valve.jpg
    FW_drain_valve.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 77
  • FW_drain_cable.jpg
    FW_drain_cable.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 58
  • FW_drain.jpg
    FW_drain.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 50
  • FW_drain_adapter.jpg
    FW_drain_adapter.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 47
  • FW_drain_capped.jpg
    FW_drain_capped.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 44
  • FW_drain_check.jpg
    FW_drain_check.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 49
Tom,

Nice quick fix. When Robert gets a chance I would suggest trying to straighten out that cable. It seems awfully convoluted and might not allow the valve to close all the way. For the life of me I can't figure out why manufacturers do things like this!! I still say EVERY so called RV engineer should be forced to spend at least 3-6 months in their creation. Then we would see things done quite differently.

Hi Jim,

Yes, that cable route really is convoluted. Looks like they used a cable that's way too long and routed it to take up the excess.

Tom said:
Hi Jim,

Yes, that cable route really is convoluted. Looks like they used a cable that's way too long and routed it to take up the excess.

Most likely that cable has several uses elsewhere and it's just convenient for them to adapt to this application even though it isn't proper.  :(

Frank,

I'm not sure if that's maybe a hand soap.

Robert, it just 'dawned' on me what it is  ;D

Tom  I thought it was cold where you are  but still that's a lot of corn you just shucked

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom