Fresh Water Hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ai guy

I see they sell special RV fresh water hoses.  What is the difference between these and a regular garden hose (besides a few bucks)?  It must be that the RV hoses don't hold bacteria or something like that.  I don't know.

Elliot

Generally speaking, the "special" hoses are made from materials qualified for drinking water.  Regular garden hoses may be constructed with materials that contain harmful chemicals that could leach intothe water.

I believe the difference comes into play when the hose is used for a supply hose for a longer period of time like weeks or months.  If a cheap vinyl hose contains water under pressure, some of the plastic may leach into the water.
Art

It's not that they are "RV" hoses, it's that they are "potable water" hoses. As the others have said, a potable water hose is rated safe for carrying drinking water. Garden hoses are not.  Most garden hoses also impart a rather nasty taste to the water, again because of the chemicals used in the vinyl.

Thanks, folks,
    I figured it was something with water quality.  On the farm I've had hoses spring leaks and just plain blow out when left on all the time, so that makes sense here, too.

If you are choosy, you can find garden hoses that are acceptable for potable water.  4 of my 5 "garden" hoses are potable water hoses although the are garden hose green!!  Not cheap either though!  VBG

In RV use, the white color of potable water hoses is a good color code.    I carry two hoses, one white one for potable water ONLY.  The other is a 25 foot piece of cheap green hose I use for waste tank and sewerage work.  The two are stored in separate storage  compartments.  The white hose is always stored with its two ends coupled together to seal off the hose.  An old white hose is discarded, never retained for other uses. 

I agree Carl but carry more hose than you.

Hose colors are as follows:

Black - Used with macerator pump for ... Well you know what those pumps are used for.

Gray - Used for 2nd gray water tank, however I'm working on an improved solution there

Dark Green - Same as you, flushing

All others (Clear, White and yes, one light green hose) potable water, mostly white and "Flat" green

NOTE: I have one flat hose, and one semi-flat hose, both of these are green and potable water The truly flat is not often used (I will switch to it when the semi-flat dies of old age)

It's not really that many Karl, but I do admit to carrying rather a lot of fire fighting stuff (multiple extinguishers including my special "Campfire" extinguisher (A 1 1/2 gallon garden sprayer rigged so it's easier to pressurize) (I might add it has a broken pump too)

I'm going to cut down on them a bit when I get the improved solution so I'll have black, green or gray and clear with dark green and gray both "Rinse") I'll pick one since with the improved solution, if it works, I won't need two any more)

This is an old topic and I don't really want to resurrect it, but anyone who wants to buy an XHose should know that ours disintegrated in the hot summer sun.  It didn't even last one year!

ArdraF

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom