Fresh Water Tank Cleaner or to Keep Clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keithhk

Hi, I would like to know what is the best way to keep the fresh water tank clean and still safe for drinking water as I am sure there are some products that are better than others so I am asking people with experience as I am just a newby to this game.  Thanks  Keith

Keith

After initial sanitizing of the system, a few drops of bleach added to each fill of fresh water should do the trick. To read the procedure for initial sanitizing of the system, click the Library button above, select Hygiene, health and medicine, then click Water System Sanitizing.

After sanitizing the tank, consider buying some "whole house" water filters from a home improvement center.  You will probably have to modify and build some fittings conversions from pipe thread to hose thread, but I use triple filtration in my coach.    No unfiltered water enters the plumbing system of my coach.  There are two filters at the inlet, one coarse filter to trap rust, sand and large debris.  The second in line filter is charcoal to eliminate taste and odor.  Finally at the sink is a third filter of ceramic material to remove viruses, bacteria and cysts.

Water borne organisms are the single biggest threat to our health as RVers, and should be taken seriously.

You can also get filters already "Custom Made" with hose fittings at most RV stores, and I think Sears,  Surprisingly the prices are not all that outragous at the RV stores.... I've priced simular filters (Ice maker filters) at sears (Since I filter the ice water in my house) and the cost was almost exactly the same as a simular size and specification RV filter.

One thing to know... If you put a filter in the line it WILL affect water pressure within the MH.  Normally this is not all that much of an issue but if you have a macerating toilet (I do) then it will affect the pre & Post flush fill levels,,, Also if you want to take a shower it's a good idea to have some water in the supply tank and hit the pump switch. 

One assumes that If I spent a lot more money on the filters (Got larger ones) this would not be such an issue

Also filters come in different "Grades" from simple charcoal jobs (Good, for what they are designed to do) to ceramic (Better) to reverse osmosis, to combination jobs that can darn near(DO NOT TEST THIS THEORY)  filter black water into drinkable water (DO NOT TRY THIS)  (Remember I said DARN NEAR, I did not say they could)

Of course the more you want, the more you pay

Water, like filters, comes in various grades... Some  a simple sediment and charcoal filter is more than enough

Other places a good bacteria killing filter is handy

Others have serious chemical issues that may well overwhelm a simple filter

Some have combination issues and need the BIG filters

Montozuma will get his revenge if you don't have a good enough filter

The filters I use in our coach and now in our home are made by the Canadian Company Rainfresh.? Though their products are not sold in the U.S., the Rainfresh Solution Guide describes the function and filtration (in microns) required to perform various tasks.? I've been using their products in RV's since 1996 and have encountered some pretty foul water.? I triple filter my water and have never had any trace of taste, odor or harmful organism.

The filter cartridges are similar to those sold in Walmart, Sears etc all over North America so the filtration principles are pretty much the same.

If your water pressure drops with a filter installed, it's because the filter is working and has become clogged with debris.? Replace the cartridge and the pressure returns to normal, unless you have really bad water.? A whole house filter is more than capable of filtering without significant pressure loss for months in my experience.

Just bought some disolving tablets (baking soda) from campingworld to sterilise our tank before shipping ,also bought some new filters to be fitted when refilled.
I did see a product on their shelves to put in the tank of water to keep it pure.
I know a lot of RVers use bleach as Tom suggested but its not for me

Ian H said:
I did see a product on their shelves to put in the tank of water to keep it pure.

By defination if you put ANYTHING into the water it's no longer pure

But yes, I know what you mean,,, I've not seen any water purification tablets in the handy 40 or 80 gallon size either

(I have seen them in the handy 8 ounce size,,, but it's been many years, and today's pollution is not what they were designed for)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom