Fridge Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bnb1023

Several Fridge questions (I have a 1996 Dometic)

1. The freezer unit works great, but the fridge part takes forever to cool. What could be wrong? Seals seem to be ok?

2. What is a reasonable time need to wait for the fridge to become cool when I turn it on? (Ohio weather at 85 degrees)

3. What is considered "Level". I often camp on sites with pads that are fairly level,  and therefore do not usually worry about getting the MH exactly level. Am I hurting the fridge by operating it at "Not exactly level".

bnb1023,

Sometimes I think they should be called "cold-keepers" rather than refrigerators. They are not known for getting things cool quickly and may take several hours or overnight, depending on how heavily you load it with warm product. It usually will work faster on propane than electricity (I'm assuming you have a dual cooling type unit), but will still be much slower than a regular home refrigerator. Make sure your load has adequate room between items for air to flow around them. Levelling is not critical, but should not be more than about 10 degrees. The manufacturer can provide specific info. If you can walk side to side and front to back without noticeable list, you're probably o.k.

One thing that may help cool things down faster is a 'fridge fan.  These overpriced goodies can be found at most RV stores

I'm considering adding a"Wisper Fan" (Like the power supply fan in your computer) and tapping the power to the light in the frige for 12vdc to run it

In the back of my fridge (Dometic) above the top shelf there is a row of aluminum squares hanging down.  These tend to coat with ice.  Is this a bad thing?  I keep the fridge at 4 out of 5, because 3 is too warm.  I go by whether ice cream can stay hard in the freezer and milk doesn't spoil. 

--pat

Sounds like my problem is nothing out of the ordinary. Do the little fans help pretty much, or only a little?

bnb1023,

With the cooling unit at the top of the reefer, the cold air will fall to the bottom along a route determined by the items on the shelves that it encounters. The fan provides a continuous circulation of air which tends to even out the temperature within the box confines - just like the fan in a convection oven. More even cooling equals less frozen stalks of celery ;D

bnb1023 said:
Several Fridge questions (I have a 1996 Dometic)

1. The freezer unit works great, but the fridge part takes forever to cool. What could be wrong? Seals seem to be ok?

2. What is a reasonable time need to wait for the fridge to become cool when I turn it on? (Ohio weather at 85 degrees)

3. What is considered "Level". I often camp on sites with pads that are fairly level,  and therefore do not usually worry about getting the MH exactly level. Am I hurting the fridge by operating it at "Not exactly level".

It will take the main box longer to cool as you are most apt to open that door much more than the freezer. I have been having problems with mine for a couple of weeks. I finally bypassed the control board and applied AC to the unit directly. It finally cooled the freezer to 0 deg. after a day or so. Then I went back to normal operation. Over time it started to warm up again. In talking with the techs at work they suggested a fan as we have had very high humidity with high temps. I finally placed a 12" fan at the opening to the rear of the refer. It has stayed at 0 for two days. I now am back on the control board again and it is holding. It appears these things really need better ventilation than just heat rising up the chiminy. I plan on installing a fan inside soon to help with this situation.

Refers are not quite as fussy as they used to be. If you look in your manual it should give you the information on how far out of level you can be and still be safe. I can't remember which direction is which but mine is 3 deg in one direction and 6 deg in the other. Be sure you are looking at the refer from the explanation standpoint. Front to back is really side to side in an RV. :) As stated earlier, if you feel comfortable you are probably level enough.

I have seen models with a pair of wisper fans on the hot air side of the 'fridge (whatever they call it,i'd call it radiators)  Seems that's teh latest thing  air boost... I'll consider that for mine as well as they say circulation is the main thing likely to get messed up

John In Detroit said:
I have seen models with a pair of wisper fans on the hot air side of the 'fridge (whatever they call it,i'd call it radiators)  Seems that's teh latest thing  air boost... I'll consider that for mine as well as they say circulation is the main thing likely to get messed up

John,

It's very important to have good air flow when temps are high and the humidity is as well.

Back
Top Bottom