Fridge won't stay on propane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clarabelle

I have a 2004 American Tradition.  On our last trip, the fridge works fine on shore or gen power, but when we hit the road on LP, after about 3 minutes the alarm comes on saying that the LP isn't working.  I reset the on-off as per the manual several times and it still won't stay on.  Any ideas?  Is the pilot light maybe going out?

On a unit that new you most likely do not have a pilot light.  Switch the refer to propane and listen closely near the outside access area of the unit.  If you hear a clicking sound for a few moments before the alarm comes on it would indicate that your electronic ignition is attempting to light the propane.  If the unit does not light after a few seconds the propane will automatically shut off.  Either propane is not reaching the burner or it is a weak flow.  Is it turned on?  If on, try some compressed air into the area of the burner flame to blow out any residue.  Spiders and their webs are the main cause of not lighting.  Spiders like the smell of propane.  Also you may need to remove the small cover over the flame and adjust the heat tube so that the tip stays in the flame and can hold the valve open.  good luck...

One other possibility? ?Is the sensor in the kitchen turned off.? ?Same thing happened to me? ?That little green light better be flashing.? ? Mine is located in the kitchen under the Fridge near the floor.

Clarabelle, your problem could be as simple as dirt in the burner that needs to be cleaned out. You didn't mention the make or model of the fridge. That might be helpful to people trying to help you troubleshoot it. You can try www.BryantRV.com and go to the service documents page. If you know the make and model number you will find the tech service manual there for downloading. Might be of some help.

Clarabelle

As others have mentioned, there can be rust or other build up in your flue preventing the propane from burning properly. Open the door at the base of the flue and then use a screwdriver to lightly tap the flue. If you get debris falling continue tapping for a bit then use a vacuum to clean out all the rust. That usually does it for me.

Hooray!  It worked!  I cleaned out the flu with my air hose and it works just fine now.  Thanks alot for the good information.  What a wonderful group of people!!  Thanks. 

;)

I'll throw my experience in with all the above.  Mine wouldn't stay on either, and was told that the thermocouple finger that stays in the flame while on can have build-up on it.  I took a pocket knife and scraped on it - and sure enough some stuff came off and it worked from then until I sold it.  Another cause ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom