From Florida North East coast bound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IrishAngie

I have been all over the US except the northeast and want to get them all in on an rv trip Can I go from North Fl to Maine and back in 2 and a half weeks and enjoy myself. Would someone share the highlights of New jersey, Delaware, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Virginia and West Virginia with me. I want to see history In Philly, boston Mass. and Niagra N.Y. thks

I did Florida to Acadia NP in Maine for the first leg of my 5 month North America & Canada solo road trip in 2018. Rene is right, you won't see much in such a short time. But, I will tell you I very much enjoyed my camping in Francis Marion NF in SC, and Croatian NF in NC. I stayed with family in VA, so no help there. New Jersey: campground at Wharton State Forest was good, but busy. There's really nothing, as far as I could tell, worth stopping for from New Jersey to New England. I originate from NE; it is quite lovely, outside of the cities...lots of lakes and forest to enjoy. Acadia NP is worth the trip, but only paid campgrounds there. It's also a small NP, so very crowded, which is why I spent my time hiking and mountain climbing. Tbh, for 2 1/2 weeks only, I'd recommend you enjoy Florida to Virginia, and leave the rest for another adventure!
Either way, enjoy, and be safe!

Cat, you still got it wrong. It's Croatan. At least you tried. Darned auto correct often gets the spelling wrong.

Well, you "Can" make the drive from North Florida to Maine straight through. in about 18-20 hours. But, You won't enjoy it. So realistically plan a two-day trip up to Maine.
Once there, you can begin touring, and start in Maine and take a couple of weeks to work your way back.

what kind of "History" are you wanting to see?
Colonial, Revolution, General history, Civil War era, a little of all of the above?

Can I go from North Fl to Maine and back in 2 and a half weeks and enjoy myself.
I could not, but maybe you can. Besides a lot of driving miles/time, you are talking about visiting major metro areas (Boston & Philly), where campgrounds don't really exist or are heavily (and usually seasonally) booked. Merely driving between Washington DC and Boston is stressful.

Do you enjoy driving 400-500 miles per day? Starting early and stopping late? Cause that's what it takes to make Maine in 2.5 days, with no stops for anything but fuel & sleep. That's 5 of your 17-18 travel days. Plus another day each way to get out to the Niagara region So you have maybe 10 days to sight-see in Philly & Boston, and the adjacent historic sites in PA, MA, CT, VT etc. Have you already done Virginia's many Civil War sites?

If it were me, I'd make one trip up the coast as far as PA and do that area, then loop over to Niagara and come back to Florida via I81 & I75. Plan another long trip to do New England later.

Hi Angie!

Humbly suggest that you pare down your itinerary to keep it enjoyable.

We live in the Pittsburgh area, and have experienced difficulty in planning camper-related things out "Philly way" east of us in PA.

Once you're into the Washington-Baltimore-Philly-New York-Boston megalopolis, the game changes with respect to campground/state park availability, traffic, travel times, etc.

A trip up Route 77 would let you reach WV/PA/OH in 3 reasonable travel days, or 4 days if you keep it leisurely/enjoyable. You'd have 1.5 weeks to see Niagara, Cuyahoga National Park in Ohio, and a whole host of other things in the area before your 3-4 day trip back.

If you do push for Maine, I'd consider skirting the megalopolis to the west so that you actually get up there in 4-5 days and you'd have at least a full week to enjoy a couple of "home base" areas along the Maine coast.

Happy planning and travels! Strongly consider a campsite reservation anywhere in proximity to Acadia, depending on when you're there. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom