From Moab to Torrey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
5 of us (Mahoney, Marabitos, Meyers, Reiters, and Sharps) caravaned from Moab to Blanding for breakfast at the Old Tymers restaurant, then headed across highway 95 through the Glen Canyon NRA and highway 24 through Capitol Reef NP to Torrey, UT.  On the way we did take some pictures.  The en route photos were taken through the windshield of the motor home and a few were taken as we were climbing out from the Colorado river and Glen Canyon NRA.  Those who took the fast route missed some very beautiful scenery.

We'll be revisiting Capitol Reef NP this week so I know there will be more, and better, photos coming.  This is just a taste.

Attachments

• Glen Canyon NRA 02 (Medium).jpg
    Glen Canyon NRA 02 (Medium).jpg
    108 KB · Views: 34
  • Glen Canyon NRA 06 (Medium).jpg
    Glen Canyon NRA 06 (Medium).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Glen Canyon NRA 08 (Medium).jpg
    Glen Canyon NRA 08 (Medium).jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Glen Canyon NRA Drive 10 (Medium).jpg
    Glen Canyon NRA Drive 10 (Medium).jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Henry Mountains 02 (Medium).jpg
    Henry Mountains 02 (Medium).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 34
  • Capitol Reef 16 (Medium).jpg
    Capitol Reef 16 (Medium).jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Capitol Reef 17 (Medium).jpg
    Capitol Reef 17 (Medium).jpg
    99 KB · Views: 32
  • Capitol Reef 26 (Medium).jpg
    Capitol Reef 26 (Medium).jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Capitol Reef 32 (Medium).jpg
    Capitol Reef 32 (Medium).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Capitol Reef 36 (Medium).jpg
    Capitol Reef 36 (Medium).jpg
    101 KB · Views: 33
Great Pics Ned.  Envy you however the ole prude says, nice pictures, now she;s seen it we won't have to go.  Should have left her in Amarillo permenantly

We really waish we could have made that trip with y'all, but we have a prior family commitment starting this weekend. It's on the list for next year though.

Tom,

I'm sure this group will take enough photos so you can see what you have to look forward to :)  But pictures are no substitute for the real thing, they just can't capture the scale and exent of the landscape.

Ned

>> Those who took the fast route missed some very beautiful scenery.<<

Been there done that....Saved 20 gal of fuel & can now buy dinner.<G>

Here is a pic from Thousand Lakes campground.

Attachments

• Capitol Reef01 (Small).JPG
    Capitol Reef01 (Small).JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 35
Ned,

Please go to the little restaurant in Bicknell  and have a piece of Pinto Bean pie for me.  Then write and tell me about it so I can be even more envious :p

Jim Johnson said:
Please go to the little restaurant in Bicknell? and have a piece of Pinto Bean pie for me.?

Jim,
Do you recall the name of that little restaurant?  And what were the other weird pies they make? We reviewed our pics of our last years trip and I think it is warmer this year as we are all so bundled up in our pictures.  We miss you guys.

Betty

Well, it maybe cost us maybe 10 gallons of fuel more, and now we've seen the route in both directions.  It looked quite different going west.

Who needs dinner when we have fresh baked bread in the afternoon and muffins in the morning :D

Buttermilk pie sounds better to me than Pinto Bean or Sweet Pickle :)

When you guys first mentioned Pinto Bean Pie, I thought it was something like Frito pie or chili pie and got hungry. Having looked up the recipe, all I can say is Ick.

Jim Johnson said:
Please go to the little restaurant in Bicknell  and have a piece of Pinto Bean pie for me.  Then write and tell me about it so I can be even more envious :p

Jim

Well we were there for lunch today after returning from "The Scenic Drive" at Capital Reef. The green chile stew was superb. Then we topped it off with the pie sampler, half slice of the top 4 pies; pinto, pickle, buttermilk and oatmeal. My tastes don't reach the pickle pie level  :) but I enjoyed the others. Marlene was underwhelmed by them all. Maybe if all had been heated, only the oatmeal was, we would have enjoyed it better.

We stopped at the General Store and had Hagen Dazs ice cream bars.? Much better than Pinto Bean pie, I'm sure :D

Jim Johnson said:
They also had Buttermilk pie, Sweet Pickle pie, Oatmeal pie. The name is Sunglow Motel and Cafe.

Jim,

Russ, Terry and Betty, and Linda and I went to the Sunglow Motel and Cafe this evening for dinner. After eating our regular meals, everone except Terry ordered the sampler of pinto bean, buttermilk, pickle and oatmeal pie. We all thought each was very good; however, we all took about half of our samples back to our motor homes because of the lack of stomach room. The samples were as large as some pie servings we have had in restaurants. We expected little slivers of pie, just to taste but got much more. I didn't think I could even taste the pickle pie but it was actually quite good. We will enjoy the rest of our samples tomorrow and be thinking of you, Tarry, Fred and Daisy.

Richard

RLSharp said:
Russ, Terry and Betty, and Linda and I went to the Sunglow Motel and Cafe this evening for dinner. After eating our regular meals, everone except Terry ordered the sampler of pinto bean, buttermilk, pickle and oatmeal pie. We all thought each was very good; however, we all took about half of our samples back to our motor homes because of the lack of stomach room. The samples were as large as some pie servings we have had in restaurants. We expected little slivers of pie, just to taste but got much more. I didn't think I could even taste the pickle pie but it was actually quite good. We will enjoy the rest of our samples tomorrow and be thinking of you, Tarry, Fred and Daisy.

To Fred  & Daisy,  Jim & Tarry,
Now I know why you went so many times to the little restaurant with the special pies. One piece a night would have been plenty.  I have never been so miserable after a meal as this one in a long time.  My tostada was wonderful and so were the pies but the quantity I ate was way too much.  We did have a toast in your honor for  reminding us of this place. It is chilly this morning and we slept in.  Will heat up the pies for lunch!  What a life!  We miss you guys. We had lunch near the same spot as last year on the Cathedral Valley trip.  Such magnificent scenery!

Betty

Back
Top Bottom