Front engine diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brave Willy

2008 tiffin is there any problems with front mounted diesel in a 2008 Tiffin I think it?s a 340 Cummins or what should I be checking

It's an excellent powertrain for a front engine, spring suspension chassis, but didn't really catch on with buyers in that price class. The diesel engine costs more than a gas engine but the performance advantage apparently was not enough for shoppers. Those willing to pay more for a diesel also wanted air suspension & brakes, greater GVWR, and other advantages of a diesel pusher (rear engine chassis).  I'm not aware of any drawbacks to the Freightliner FRED chassis coaches like the Tiffin Allegro FRED.

It's a 300 hp Cummins ISB engine. View the chassis specs at:
https://cdn.fccchq.com/specsheets/5b7abfb0cf1da258f28db09d/2008-Tiffin-Allegro.pdf

We looked at that Tiffin Fred seriously and decided to go rear engine. Reasons being, lack of air suspension, much more noise up front white driving, less storage area and Tiffin's decision to drop production of a Fred. We purchased Tiffin Allegro Red and are very pleased with performance.

Exactly what I was referring to: those who want the diesel also want rear engine, air suspension, etc. 

Still no downsides, though. The "more noise up front" is mostly conjecture - those who own a front diesel claim there is no significant difference vs a gas engine up front.  ANY front engine is gong to be noisier than any rear engine.

Back
Top Bottom