Front mirror adjustment on DP MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gasser

Just curious, when test driving my new coach I felt like I wanted to move the left mirror so I could see it out of the side window and not the front.  At the time of the test drive, it was just inside the front window to the right of the drivers side A pillar.  It just did not seem like a natural place to look.  I am pretty tall and have long legs so I sit back a good ways from the front windshield.  If I sat closer or was shorter the mirror would be fine.

It looks like the mirrors are on a movable stalk so would it be fine to move it out more lateral to see it in the the side window or will that be out too wide?  How wide can I stick my mirrors out on these things and still be safe from smacking it into oncoming traffic?  The passenger side mirror is fine but could move out a little to match the other side if that looks funny.

Any advice on mirror placement?

Thanks.

Jeff

You can do that. Just unbolt the arm adjustment and bring it around snug with your left window pane!.

Tom Fisher has a 99 Dutch Star and he was at Quartzsite with his moved up against the left window pane.

Bob

If the mirrors are manual, you can probably rotate the arm until the head touches the side window pane, but if there is wiring for remote control, heaters and turn signals in the mirror arm, I would be careful.

I am tall also and I sit with my seat all the way back. I took the opposite approach: I pulled the arm in towards the center of the coach until the inside edge of the mirror head was even with the side of the coach. I then adjusted the mirror heads so suit me. I did this on both sides. I now have a clear view of both mirrors. More over, they don't stick out as far on each side which gives me more room to avoid the 18 wheelers that like to play mirror chicken.

George Dauth

Thanks!  I will play with them and find that sweet spot.  Just wanted some experience to guide me.  I did not even think about pulling them all the way around.  That may work as well.  I think all mine have is the electric adjust but I will check on the heat and turn signals.  I don't think they have those features. 

Jeff

Jeff,

Look at the switch that you use to adjust the mirrors, if there is a little rocker switch as part of that assembly, you have heaters.  The light should be on when the heaters are.  At least that is the way it is with my Ramco mirrors.  G

We have Velvac mirrors and the mirror defrost switch is on the dash, separate from the mirror controls.

Ned said:
We have Velvac mirrors and the mirror defrost switch is on the dash, separate from the mirror controls.

Well, there is definatly a rocker switch wtih a light so I must have heaters.  I don't have the coach in front of me so I will check it all out before I start pushing things around.  Half the fun of this thing is going to be setting it up for MOI. ;D

There's a reason for having the mirrors out front rather than to the side - you can see the mirror without taking your eyes off the road so much.  But some people have a hard time getting used to that position, perhaps because years of car driving has imprinted the side position on them. Feel free to rotate then around if you like, but I'd suggest giving the other position a fair trial first.

Personally I like them out front. My Dolphin has the mirrors fix-mounted high on the side and inverted (dangling down rather than standing up) and I find it awkward to have to look way over to see whats along side.

RV Roamer said:
There's a reason for having the mirrors out front rather than to the side - you can see the mirror without taking your eyes off the road so much.? But some people have a hard time getting used to that position, perhaps because years of car driving has imprinted the side position on them. Feel free to rotate then around if you like, but I'd suggest giving the other position a fair trial first.

Personally I like them out front. My Dolphin has the mirrors fix-mounted high on the side and inverted (dangling down rather than standing up) and I find it awkward to have to look way over to see whats along side.

Part of the problem with them out front, the drivers side one specifically, was it was so close to the A pillar.  I felt like I needed to move or lean forward to see well even though I could see all of the mirror.  The A pillar was just more of a distraction for the most part.  I may move them in closer as George suggested and see how that feels.  you are right, I need to spend some time driving it and get use to everything.  Its definatly different but the short time I drove it, it was quite a ride.  Very fun to drive.  What a view from up there.

Thanks again!

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom