Front or Mid_Coach Doors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ITCHY FEET-Steve

hey_
been away for awhile> merry christmas etc> IF YOU HAVEN"T NOTICED_my keyboard seems to be a bit screwy> anyhow< i"m lookin for some feedback on the pros and cons of entrance doors> TKS> steve

ITCHY FEET-Steve said:
.. i"m lookin for some feedback on the pros and cons of entrance doors..

They make it easier to get in and out of the RV.

I've seen mid entrance doors that are an accident waiting to happen. I think it really depends on the floorplan, but typically think front door for diesels and mid door for gas powered coaches.

Steve have only owned two motor homes, one a Bounder 34-J mid door, and now a Monaco Diplomat 40-footer with front entry door.  I much prefer the front entry as the entry area does not interfere with the living area at all.  Not true with the mid entry.  Just my opinion.  Hope this is of help.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum! We've had both mid entry and front entry coaches. I personally prefer the front entry. It allows for more utilization of the area where a mid entry door would be located. It also allows for a faster retreat to the exterior should something happen while underway. Either is acceptable if the floor plan suits your needs.

Depends on wheather Diesel or GAS.  Seems as tho it's how much money you want to spend.

With front entry you have to traipse through the living area every time you go in/out. If you camp in dirty or muddy areas, that may not be a great idea. But the front entry leaves more wall space for arranging the interior, so there is usually greater flexibility in the floor plan.

But in practice the door location is pretty much dictated by engine location. Nearly all diesel pushers will have front entry and nearly all front engine gas rigs will have mid entry. Sometimes the "mid" is nearer the front than the middle, though, as in some Pace Arrow floor plans.  Some recent new chassis options  will change the tradition of front for diesels and mid for gas. The Workhorse UFO chassis offers rear engine gas as a possible configuration and the Freightliner FRED (front engine diesel) is usually a mid entry.

I like the front entry for maximum use of interior space. Don't like it for the pain of waiting for the stair cover to retract when exiting the coach. Navigating entry is a little more difficult working around the overhead TV jutting out and the 90? turn around the passenger seat. Marlene likes the mid entry because when we got our front entry coach, she lost the permanent library/reference area she had around the navigator's  seat in our mid entry coach. You pay your money and take your choice.

If you have the big bucks, Newell now offers front as well as mid entry doors on it's models. IMHO the mid entry Newell has the most impressive entry on the market.

Bernie,

Some step covers retract very quickly. Mine takes about 1 1/2 seconds! I'd sure hate to be on the step when it operates to cover the steps!!!! ;D

Jim Dick said:
Some step covers retract very quickly. Mine takes about 1 1/2 seconds! I'd sure hate to be on the step when it operates to cover the steps!!!! ;D

Jim

The new Travel Supremes have hydraulic covers which are much faster than our electric one. I do hope that they have sensors to stop if something is in the way. And in an emergency, you still have to find the switch.

Jim,

If your step cover takes that long you may have an air leak, defective actuator, or possibly you need to lube the tracks.  Ours takes about 1/2 second or less.

Ron,

Since ours are essentially the same I'll bow to your observations. :) I was going to quote a shorter time frame but thought that 1 1/2 seconds was pretty fast. ;D

Ours (probably the same as yours) is pneumatic and opens/closes like a guillotine.  Ka-WHACK!  Cannot be no more than 1 second and maybe less. They placed the switch far enough away so you can't possibly be standing on or in the way of the thing, since it would clearly be dangerous. Heaven help if somebody else was standing there when the switch gets thrown!

Yep if one was standing on a step when the switch was thrown they would be in a heap outside the door or if the door wasn't open they would sure have an sore leg or legs. I think the cover proably closes before one can say Ka-WHACK. ;)

Gary,

Sounds the same to me. I doubt they would change the mechanism since it works so well. Yes, our switch is under the cabinets next to the passenger seat so one cannot be standing in the well when they operate it. My concern would be someone else (perhaps grandkids) would operate it at the wrong time. :) I make sure I'm never standing in the way when they are about to operate it. I would expect, hopefully, that there is a sensor that would return it to the open position if it caught on something, kind of like the door on a CD player. of course, that is asking a lot. ;D Maybe I'll put it to a test someday.

Our switch is both away from the step well and placed high, I presume to keep it away from youngsters.

I wouldn't bet my leg on their being a sensor that will stop it before hitting something with that hard Ka-WHACK. It might reverse after striking it, though.

Gary,

I wasn't thinking about using MY leg. ;D I figured some other object that wouldn't hurt the cover but could stop it. A wrapped 2X4 might do it.

Just curious, so you have to find the switch and operate it, for the well cover to retract, before you can exit in an emergency? And what if it doesn't work -- jump?

Back
Top Bottom