Front rims hot while being flat towed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like we are getting close to our solution!

OLD_CROW it appears that we do have notching - they grinded down and smoothed it and changed the caliper on the right because it was getting stuck. BEFORE this work was done, the temp was 30 degrees hotter on that right side - now AFTER the temps are all similar. Next thing we want to do it take her for a flat tow and see if we are good to go !

I am hoping the grinding down is going to be enough. If not, will seek out getting the knuckles replaced.

thanks and will get a final update once we can get our trial flat tow in.

Looks like we are getting close to our solution!

OLD_CROW it appears that we do have notching - they grinded down and smoothed it and changed the caliper on the right because it was getting stuck. BEFORE this work was done, the temp was 30 degrees hotter on that right side - now AFTER the temps are all similar. Next thing we want to do it take her for a flat tow and see if we are good to go !

I am hoping the grinding down is going to be enough. If not, will seek out getting the knuckles replaced.

thanks and will get a final update once we can get our trial flat tow in.
I discovered this while driving mine. The one side got so hot that it bound up hard enough to put the Jeep into a death wobble episode.
Too bad you're not closer to Cali. I know a guy out here who runs a shop and they actually recondition the knuckles. Not that new ones are all that expensive, but it's a pretty good project to replace them.

Hi ! wanted to share an update and again thank this wonderful community !

We just went on a 800 mile round trip flat towing our Jeep with front rims cool to touch the entire way :)

Old Crow, wished we were closer or had a west coast trip on the books - will keep your potential contact of getting our knucles reconditioned in mind :)

thanks again to each person who took the time to read our post and share your thoughts! you are appreciated ! wishing you all safe and wonderful travels !

cheers !

Hi ! wanted to share an update and again thank this wonderful community !

We just went on a 800 mile round trip flat towing our Jeep with front rims cool to touch the entire way :)

Old Crow, wished we were closer or had a west coast trip on the books - will keep your potential contact of getting our knucles reconditioned in mind :)

thanks again to each person who took the time to read our post and share your thoughts! you are appreciated ! wishing you all safe and wonderful travels !

cheers !

Glad my horrible experience helped someone. When mine locked up, we were driving in the Jeep. That's the only time in 20 year of Jeep ownership I've ever experienced the death wobble, and I hope I never do again.

OLD _CROW - oh dear! I didn't realize you were driving the jeep when that death wobble occured. So glad that you were ok and I second that sentiment of NEVER HAVING IT HAPPEN AGAIN ! wishing you my best !

All the above incidents was explained to me before I bought the towed braking system. I was convinced to spend the extra money to buy a M&G braking system. It was installed in 2013, and never caused a problem yet.
M&G even has an adapter kit for use with MH's without a compressed air system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom