front windows in class C's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blw2

I've always known...by reading and just "common sense intuition", that the old Class C's with the window up in the front of the nose cone is just a bad idea.... proven through seeing many on the road over the years with visible damage up there...

I just made a short errand this am...10 minutes up the road, then back a while later.  In that short trip I saw several RV's on the road and noticed a definite trend...a whopping three RV's with the front windows
I saw a new Class C...didn't catch the name on it....but it had an absolutely huge windshield up there.  I also saw one of the smaller class C's with a smaller window up top....I've been noticing this type more and more lately.  The third rig was a new one for me...a big 5th wheel with an almost full width windshield.

I guess the manufacturers think they've figured out how to better design and build these things... I sure hope so for all these new owners'...

Seems to me the C's without front windows leak up there just as much as the window type. The cabover area is a ripe place for stress on seams and subsequent water leaks.

They are becoming more common. Leprechaun is having some models with it.  I am glad I bought mine before this change.

I know my TT does not have a front window, and I am looking at possibly adding one.  Dearly miss seeing out the driveway while camping.  Our old Class C had one, never leaked, kids loved looking out of it.  I do hear stories, I guess it is important to go over your own system with the appropriate sealant.

SpencerPJ said:
I know my TT does not have a front window, and I am looking at possibly adding one.  Dearly miss seeing out the driveway while camping.  Our old Class C had one, never leaked, kids loved looking out of it.  I do hear stories, I guess it is important to go over your own system with the appropriate sealant.

I think if I were going to add one to a TT (or design a TT with a front window)... I would do it with a fold down awning like the old Nomad my dad had when I was a kid.  the awning folds down for travel to cover it....actually now that I'm thinking about it, no reason that wouldn't work on a motor home as well....  shade as well as shielding from the blasting hurricane force wind blow rain while driving...

Yup, from time to time, ebay has them from RV surplus stores.  Last I saw, a Jayco one, complete with shipping was $300, 48x12".  I then was going to look into getting a replacement front Graphic for my Puma TT, and have at it.  It all is the priority of my spare time...  Right now, I don't see any windows, but living in Indianapolis, I am sure I could drive 3 hrs north to Elkhart In, and find whatever I wanted.  I don't have a problem cutting a hole, and building a frame between the inner and outer wall, I just don't know if I would interfere with the structural roof support.  I think not, It seems the beams used for roof support primarily rest on the two side walls. 

Back
Top Bottom