Frozen sewer line (outside drainage hose)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

[email protected]

My wife and I are camping right next to Fort Knox Kentucky in a place called Camp Carlson. We have been here for almost three weeks now and the weather has gone from the mid 50s to today which is 4 degrees Fahrenheit. We went outside this morning to do a little bit of Maintenance make sure the propane tanks were acting right and fix him up and I noticed that the outside sewer drain hose was frozen solid. My wife had this brilliant idea that I would like to pass on to the rest of you who face this dilemma is she took a box of salt table salt and dumped it down the toilet into the tank. About 10 or 15 minutes later she went outside to take a shower over the bath house and she heard the let line drain so salt did the trick to unclog a Frozen sewage drain to swan

Arch Hoagland said:
Do you leave the grey tank valve closed until you need to dump or do you leave it open all the time?

I'll bet they leave the gray tank drain valve open all the time like I do. But in this case, the water just kept freezing and the ice just kept building up and building up over time and it froze solid.
Something to think about when camping in the real cold.

Unfortunately, it sounds like they leave the black open too if dumping salt in the toilet broke it loose.

My wife and I are camping right next to Fort Knox Kentucky in a place called Camp Carlson. We have been here for almost three weeks now and the weather has gone from the mid 50s to today which is 4 degrees Fahrenheit. We went outside this morning to do a little bit of Maintenance make sure the propane tanks were acting right and fix him up and I noticed that the outside sewer drain hose was frozen solid. My wife had this brilliant idea that I would like to pass on to the rest of you who face this dilemma is she took a box of salt table salt and dumped it down the toilet into the tank. About 10 or 15 minutes later she went outside to take a shower over the bath house and she heard the let line drain so salt did the trick to unclog a Frozen sewage drain to swan

That is why we marry them. They are much smarter then us.
I don't know how many times I have been stuck in the middle of a project and my wife comes up with an idea that solves my problem.

Tell your wife she did good !

Jack L

In cold, (freezing), weather it's best to leave both of the dump valves closed until the tanks need dumping.
While dumping the sewer hose will not freeze closed... in even in sub-zero(F)  weather.

Welcome to the forum James

You got a smart wife there..Sounds like you owe her a night on the town.

How I do it .. I once had a frozen line and had to wait got it to thaw.

Now I can go 2-3 weeks on one set of tanks.. I don't like to. but I can.

So this time of year I 2 week where I am now and 1 week elesewhere

Tomorrow I will hook up the hoses  Dump and Drain the black hose
Fill the fresh tank (if it needs it) and drain the fresh hose.

All valves will be closed.. No draining. just air in the hoses.  No freezing. No problem.

Worst night I have had here in South Carolina it hit 11 degrees. Park froze solid.. I did not. no frozen hoses (I was in the week out park not hooked to anything but 50 amp) park had to bulldoze one building the plumbing had so many breaks they could not fix it.

If you make sure that the sewer line runs downhill it will help.
I have used road salt for this too. I would dump a cup in the shower drain and it never froze up.
The parks may not like it but the place i did it was recommended by the manager

Back
Top Bottom