FRS /GMRS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only the GMRS channels require a license.  You can use any FRS radio and channel with no license.

FRS radios do not require a license (channels 1-14). GMRS (channels 15-22) does require a license, though there is no test or anything. Basically you are just registering your use of the airwaves. Fee is $75. GMRS channels can use a higher power transmitter, so the range is greater with GMRS.

Some  of today's FRS radios are dual band and do both FRS and GMRS. You need a license if you use the GMRS channels. Many people do not get the license but use all the channels anyway.

I prefer the Motorola brand FRS radios - they have given me more reliable performance than the other brands I have tried, e.g. Audiovox & Midland. The Motos just seem to keep on working, whereas the others all died after a year or so.

See this site for further info about FRS & GMRS radio.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?guideID=1072288099473&categoryRep=cat06000&type=page&id=cat12077#A02

Motorolas are excellent quality radios - I've been in the Air Force in Canada for 21 years, and we've been using them for many years for Airfield communication, Military Police and just about any other Non-battle-hardened communications.  I've never seen one fail - except for a dead battery.

Of course the FRS are a completely different frequency band, and a completely different style of radio, but I know that the manufacturer is top quality, and it shows in every product of theirs that I've ever used.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom