Fuel additive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tin man

Need advise on fuel additives for diesel engines.  We have a 2007 Winnebago Journey SE. Would like to know feelings about fuel additives and any recommendations?  Thanks

Jim

Diesel Kleen, cleans, lubes injectors & pump and boost cetane rating.  I get better performance and MPG and I can get it at wally world.

Cummins does not recommend any additive for its engines; in fact, they prefer no additives.

I add a biocide when the coach sits mostly unused during the winter (algae is a potential problem in humid environments like Florida). Other than that, nothing.

I am extremely skeptical of any claims that an additive can increase MPG or performance. Take any such with several grains of salt.

I use Biobor JF. West Marine carries it, so readily available here in Florida.  Bio-Kleen is another brand I know of but haven't used myself.

The brands of diesel fuel treatment available in most truck stops don't seem to contain a biocode, or at least don't state that in their claims.

I suspect that most commercial trucks don't sit for extended periods (months), and therefore wouldn't need biocide. As you head north, truck stops will sell anti-gel diesel additives.

We use biocide in our coach and boat, both of which sit for several months at a time. Like Gary, I've been buying it at West Marine for quite a few years, mainly because we have a couple of WMP stores within driving distance. I keep a few containers on board & in the garage. The Biobor web site includes an easy to use 'where to buy' tool.

I use Howes been around forever most large truck stops such as TA or Loves often stock by the skid load. Careful there are emulsifiers which absorb moisture and put through system . GM want a Demulsifier which seperates the water . Howes is a demulsifier. You can shake half howes and half water in a test tube and before the liguid stop jiggling the water and Howes is totally separated. It also helps prevent jelling in winter. I'm sure other products do the same but which ones I don't know.

PS. I also use in my two Cummins engines for years with no problem

I have talked with numerous truckers and almost all agree you need an additive to lubricate the injectors and pump. From what I have read, an additive is not necessary both on the Cummins and EPA websites. I use Standyne additive in my coach, a lot of the truckers I have talked with, add Po2wer Steering Fluid. I do add a biocide when my coach sits for the winter.

I don't know who to believe on the additives but Stanadyne makes a lot of the injection pumps and they recommend the additive which of course makes them more money.

Are you talking with truck drivers or truck fleet mechanics? Probably two different views.

Since the arrival of ULSD fuel, most old time diesel guys - and any of their younger cohorts - have convinced themselves that additional lubricant is necessary because of the reduction in sulfur compounds.  Despite the fact that the refineries have already added lubricants to the ULSD fuel they produce.

Gary, I see the drivers that come into the farm. Most of these guys have been around awhile. I am hearing from mechanics thatwork on the diesels that Injector and pump failures are happening because the ULSD doesn't provide enough lubricant. I spent a lot of time researching it and do not have a real good answer. I am hearing of pump failures on the 6.7L which I have so I guess I will continue to use the additive until I hear proof one way or the other.

My son just had to replace the pumps on his Ford 7.3 diesel.  Ford dealer indicated that it was probably due to the ULSD/bio fuel in the current diesel. 

Jim,

I am hearing that over and over again, I am using additive but I really don't know. I know the government will not admit there is a problem and I think the manufacturers are in the same boat because if they admit it they would be liable under warranty. Pumps and injectors are costly. My SIL just had to replace the pump and injectors on his truck. When someone can garantee I do not need the additive then I might reconsider.

I am using Standyne purple label in my Duramax. Recommended by a large Pump and injector shop here in Texas. It cost me about $1 per tank fill. I figure it can't hurt. They also say ULSD does not have enough lube additives especially if you buy the discount diesel.

I agree, I use the Stanadyne Purple . I hear of way too many failures to not use an additive. Like Peanut man says, "it can't hurt". Injector pump failure along wiith injectors leaves you a pretty good repair bill, over 2000 if you do the work yourself and could be as high as $5000.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Despite the fact that the refineries have already added lubricants to the ULSD fuel they produce.

Gary,

Both TRUE and FALSE unfortunately.  It largely depends upon whether a particular distritbutor is selling "Branded" or "Unbranded" fuel.  There are distributors out there that will and do sell just about anything they can get their hands on from any source available, lots of them.  Exxon and Cenex for example both sell a premium diesel fuel at their refineries AND an unbranded diesel fuel. The rack cost difference is substantial and most stations only require that it's diesel and nothing more simply to keep costs down. Any unbranded station such as Maverick or your no name Mom & Pop stores will be selling the cheapest variety that they can sign a contract for.  Even Exxon stations are not required to sell the premium Exxon branded diesel fuels.  For those of us who fuel at truck stops the odds of finding fuel with lubricity additives in it from the refinery is very small.

Modern diesel injectors (post 2007) are better at taking the abuse of ULSD but older engines such as the PowerStroke 7.3 or Cat 3126's were never designed to run on ULSD.  They will in fact burn it and do so quite well but the question is "how long will things function that weren't designed to run on low lubricity fuel last?"

There are MANY different additive manufacturers out there all touting their product to be better than the other guys stuff.  The bottom line is, especiallly if you're running a pre 2007 engine, additive will not do any harm and could possibly save you some serious money in the long run.  The trick though is to run only what you need, adding more than the directions say won't provide any gains in performance or protection.  Personally I run Stanodyne when I can get it simply because it uses only .26 ounce per gallon compared to .33 ounce per gallon with Power Service.

Even though I work for the oil companies or maybe because I work for the oil companies I will promise you that their main concern is NOT your engine life, it's making a profit and trying to stay below the radar of the EPA and other government agencies and marketing is one of their favorite tools.  In closing I'll give you one that just cracks me up.  Shell Oil a couple of years ago inundated our office with new Point of Purchase materials for our Shell branded stations proclaiming the benefits of their new "Nitrogen Infused" gasoline.  Nitrogen!!  Really!!  It's an enert gas for crying out loud that makes up 80% of the atmosphere and it doesn't burn!!  I'm still trying to figure out how an enert gas that doesn't burn is supposed to make my engine run more efficiently.  "New & Improved" ain't always what it's cracked up to be and ULSD is a very good example.

Back
Top Bottom