Fuel Additives for Diesel Engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrohog1

I need some advice. I am wanting to add a Fuel Additive called Diesel Kleen. I am not having any problems and want to add it as Preventative Maintenance. Does anyone have any Pros or Cons concerning this Product. I figured it can't be all wrong since it is endorsed by Cummins. Thanks for your help.

Happy Trails,
Herbie

I used to use Diesel Kleen but now use Opti-Lube (Summer Blend because of my location). I get regular oil analysis and all is OK with the engine. So I vote for the additive.

I use it in a Ford diesel because the ULSD fuel has very little lubricity, and the very high pressure fuel pump can fail causing major repairs.

Why not do what cummins recommends?  They are the engineers and they have a vested interest in keeping the engine running for their reputation.  I know you said they "endorse" the product which probably means they got some money and it won't hurt the engine but do they recommend it?  Otherwise you may be wasting your money.  But it is your money so if it makes you feel better go for it!!

KandT, I think this press release by Cummins should help you to understand.

https://www.cummins.com/news/releases/2017/05/10/cummins-inc-officially-recommends-power-service-diesel-kleen-cetane-and

I run it in every tank full. I am getting a much better running engine, smoother and better mileage. I tried Opti-Lube but my results were better with Diesel Kleen.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
KandT, I think this press release by Cummins should help you to understand.

https://www.cummins.com/news/releases/2017/05/10/cummins-inc-officially-recommends-power-service-diesel-kleen-cetane-and

I run it in every tank full. I am getting a much better running engine, smoother and better mileage. I tried Opti-Lube but my results were better with Diesel Kleen.
Bill

I would do it then - Cummins knows what's best for their engines!

They recommend it for use below 30F to prevent "gelling" of the fuel, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Since we're getting into summer, I suspect you're good without it.

I have had several diesel pickups, (2001.5 Cummins 5.9, 2003 Cummins 5.9 HO, 2006 Powerstroke 6.0, 2015 Powerstroke 6.7, 2016 Duramax) and never added any diesel fuel additives at all, ever. No engines problems at all from any of these engines from any of the various manufacturers. Matter of fact, the 2006 F-350 Superduty 6.0 was the most trouble free truck I have owned to date.
I do have a couple diesel farm tractors. Last year on a whim I got some additive and put it in the tank of the bigger tractor. Immediately after I fought problems for months in the fuel filters and fuel pump screens with diesel algae. I mean y this the tractor quir running and I would have to work on it. The other tractor, 8 years older, I didn?t put in the additive and it is still running like a top. It?s a 1999 model. Not giving advice, just my experience.

Boonieman said:
I have had several diesel pickups, (2001.5 Cummins 5.9, 2003 Cummins 5.9 HO, 2006 Powerstroke 6.0, 2015 Powerstroke 6.7, 2016 Duramax) and never added any diesel fuel additives at all, ever. No engines problems at all from any of these engines from any of the various manufacturers. Matter of fact, the 2006 F-350 Superduty 6.0 was the most trouble free truck I have owned to date.
I do have a couple diesel farm tractors. Last year on a whim I got some additive and put it in the tank of the bigger tractor. Immediately after I fought problems for months in the fuel filters and fuel pump screens with diesel algae. I mean y this the tractor quir running and I would have to work on it. The other tractor, 8 years older, I didn?t put in the additive and it is still running like a top. It?s a 1999 model. Not giving advice, just my experience.
Well it shows you don't know about diesel and any advice would show that quickly :D
The problem with algae is from water in your fuel system. That is what happens if you don't use a good additive and a biocide ocashionaley. You may want to do some reading.
https://powerservice.com/find-my-product/#2
Bill

If one is going to use a diesel additive, then also look at the cost effectiveness.  How much is it costing per gallon of diesel to use.  I use a additive I get from Schaeffer Oil.  A winter version and a summer version.  When all is said and done, at the recommenced application rate if comes out to roughly 3 cents per gallon of diesel.   

If one is looking at lubricity as a reason to use a additive, forget it.  Most diesel nowadays is blended with 2% or more biodiesel.  There is not a additive on the shelf that adds as much lubricity back into diesel fuel as a simple 2% splash of biodiesel.  And it adds nothing to the cost of the diesel at the pump. 

An additive should only be used to keep fuel system clean and prevent cold weather fuel issues.  And to that end, don't spend more per gallon of diesel that you need to.

Proper filters to remove water and such along with a biocide like FPPF Killem may be needed to get rid of critters that have set up shop in one's diesel fuel tank. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom