Fuel cards-club memberships-discount coupons.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cajunkev

Hi there, not sure if this is the right place but I'm sure someone will tell me if its wrong!

Can members advise what discount cards, membership cards or subscription services they use to reduce the cost of travel.

We are coming from outside the USA for about 6 month tour of the West Coast by RV...vehicle under negotiation.

http://overnightrvparking.com has been suggested, also AAA, what about Escapees or campground chains??

Can fuel be discounted with a fuelcard?

What about vehicle service centers?

Are there any creditcards that offer RVers significant advantages??

What about National Parks memberships?

Is mechanical insurance worthwhile?

Best place for RV Auto insurance....the Auto clubs all offer special deals over here!

Bear in mind I'm a foreigner so I may not qualify for everything. I am planning multiple visits but only allowed in 6 month stints.

Really appreciate some suggestions.

One thing you can do is get a Flyingj/Pilot fuel RV membership. it gives you a few cents off at the pump and are usually cheaper to begin with.
The FlyingJ stations have RV islands complete with pump outs. ($5 fee with membership to pump out)

It's free, you can pick up a card at any FlyingJ / Pilot station and I think you can go online to get one.

There is a thread on best credit card to use for gas, you might want to look for that. Because you can combine discounts.

Steve

Many grocery chains have fuel stations associated with them and give discounts. Notice that the name of the store will change with the different states you travel to. The chain stores may be called Vons in CA and Safeway in AZ for example. Get their customer cards and then keep track of your points to get the best discounts. The west coast where you'll be at mostly (it sounds like) has an abundance of the Safeway chain and of the Kroeger chain. A google search will give you all the different brand names you may see.

Ken

bucks2 said:
Many grocery chains have fuel stations associated with them and give discounts. Notice that the name of the store will change with the different states you travel to. The chain stores may be called Vons in CA and Safeway in AZ for example. Get their customer cards and then keep track of your points to get the best discounts. The west coast where you'll be at mostly (it sounds like) has an abundance of the Safeway chain and of the Kroeger chain. A google search will give you all the different brand names you may see.

Ken

Thanks Ken....nice ride you got there!

You may find Passport America is a good source of campground discounts - 50% off at over 1800 campgrounds. Some restrictions apply, but it only takes a couple stays to recoup the small annual fee.

Most campground chains have limited locations and discounts are modest anyway - I can't think of any I would recommend for someone touring the USA, trying to see the major attractions.

A National Park pass is a great investment for someone traveling the country. $80 gets you entrance to all 2000 parks and discounted fees for many services as well.
http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

Gary RV Roamer said:
You may find Passport America is a good source of campground discounts - 50% off at over 1800 campgrounds. Some restrictions apply, but it only takes a couple stays to recoup the small annual fee.

Most campground chains have limited locations and discounts are modest anyway - I can't think of any I would recommend for someone touring the USA, trying to see the major attractions.

A National Park pass is a great investment for someone traveling the country. $80 gets you entrance to all 2000 parks and discounted fees for many services as well.
http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

Thanks Gary....will go look.

Cheers

Kevin

Most of the Truck Plazas have fuel card discounts/, but many are for truckers only. Check this out http://www.rvpluscard.com Check out apps for low fuel costs in the area you are traveling to as well it helps. Good luck and have fun.

The parks pass Gary referenced is a great deal. Actually called the America the Beautiful Pass, it gets you entry into the 401 NPS sites as well as most other federal lands where an entrance fee is charged. Visit 3 or 4 of the big national parks and it's paid for itself. Pick it up at your first stop.

Wendy

Best place for RV Auto insurance....the Auto clubs all offer special deals over here!

Most RVers seem to prefer either Coach Net or the Good Sam insurance.  They are more RV oriented than the car insurance firms.  This is important if you're broken down alongside a highway and need to be towed.  If you go with AAA or other automobile-oriented firms they may not send the appropriate size tow truck.

Is it worth having mechanical insurance?  You bet it is if you need to be towed 100 miles from the middle of nowhere.  You need collision insurance as well as roadside assistance of the Coach Net type.  There have been quite a few discussions on this subject that you'll no doubt find if you use the Search button above.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Most RVers seem to prefer either Coach Net or the Good Sam insurance.  They are more RV oriented than the car insurance firms.  This is important if you're broken down alongside a highway and need to be towed.  If you go with AAA or other automobile-oriented firms they may not send the appropriate size tow truck.

Is it worth having mechanical insurance?  You bet it is if you need to be towed 100 miles from the middle of nowhere.  You need collision insurance as well as roadside assistance of the Coach Net type.  There have been quite a few discussions on this subject that you'll no doubt find if you use the Search button above.
Years ago AAA refused to tow our families '72 Toyota landcruiser wagon, said it was a truck and too big for them to tow.  Left my mom stranded on the freeway until we could get up there to fix the truck..  I would heartily recommend something RV specific.

Thanks for your many comments.

Can anyone suggest a good place for mechanical warranty insurance?

KEVIN

Kevin,

I just got one thru wholesalewarranties.net  They beat Good Sam and Xtraride in coverage and the price was 1/4 th of the others with a reputable insurer.

Steve

P.S. make sure you get Exclusionary coverage!

Back
Top Bottom