Fuel cleaner used with Onan generator 07 model

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manofmaint

Just curious what brands of fuel cleaners you buy if you let your gas sit for a couple of months. Has anyone used STP or equivalent from auto parts?

STP is a cleaner, not a stablizer.  STA-BIL (If I've spelled it properly) is a stablizer, up to six months in the tank

I believe there is one called Seafoam as well, but that is an "IIRC" and the first I is a big one (IF)

Let me tell you all I know about that product... Oh,, I just did.

But I've used Sta-Bil more than once and never had a problem...

Of course.. I have also ran them dry on occasion too.. That works best.  The portable gen-set I have now is best run dry.

The not-so portable gen-set (Motor home's) ... Well, the large bottle of Sta-Bil will treat 80 gallons... Tank holds 70, leaves me some left over for the 5gal bottle for the little gen/snow blower

manofmaint said:
Just curious what brands of fuel cleaners you buy if you let your gas sit for a couple of months. Has anyone used STP or equivalent from auto parts?

We use Amsoil fuel stabilizer for our gas engines that spend the winter in hibernation here in MT.  Have never had a problem when we begin using the equipment each spring.  In our previous life where the job had us over seas we had gas engines set for two years or more between use with no problem.

Shayne said:
Seaform  also works pretty darn good.

Never used it.  When Sam's mom still had the car she couldn't drive it was only driven when we visited.  Used Amsoil fuel Stabilizer there too.

I have let gasoline sit for more than a year in countless engines with NO fuel stabilizer. I have yet to have any problem. I have used more than year old gasoline in lawn mowers, motorcycles, boats, RV, weed eaters and just about everything else (except cars, I have never let any  sit that long) and could not tell any difference with fresh gasoline compared to a full tank of the year old gasoline

There are many products made for engines that do nothing at all, IMO. I have wondered if the fuel stabilizers also do nothing because most say that it will keep your fresh gasoline usable for a full year. But I find untreated gasoline is usable for more than a year anyway. Perhaps the gasoline will last longer than the fuel stabilizer!

I do try to go through a full tank in all my engines (many) once per year,  but I have gone even longer with no problem at all.

But if gasoline gets too old, starting and running might not be an issue. Gasoline too old  could clog jets, especially smaller jets, such as those used in generators, lawn mowers, etc. , but I have yet to see such a problem caused by one year old gasoline and I have used such more times than I can count.

-Don-

manofmaint said:

I've used Stabil in a car and motorcycle when in storage. I just picked up some Sea Foam as it was recommended for one of my bikes that I'm having problems with rough running. From the label it seems you can use it for just about anything including storage. I know two guys that swear by it.

About 4 yrs ago  Neighbor left his lawn mower covered behind his shed all winter and early spring. The cove had blown off and he hadn't checked it until time to mow the lawn later in the Spring.  Gas tank full of water.  he called me and I emptied the water put  a little gas in it and about twice as much seafoam.  The blamed thing fired right up and as far as I know is still rumming.  I've used it on antique cars for years and swear by it as one of the best products I know of.  JMO but to each his or her own.

Back
Top Bottom