Fuel costs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gcross

Given this hypothetical I am hoping to get response on estimations of fuel costs. Looking at two year trip where I will stay in locations anywhere from two to 7 months. Starting in Miss. for two months then pennsylvania for 7 mo. then Palm springs, Ca and San diego for 2 months each. Then summer in Lake taho,Reno area for 6 months then Las Vagas for winter of 4 months. Which of the following choicesgwould have a lower overall fuel cost since I am staying in one location for months at a time.  A 32 ft. 10 year old class A gas, towing small car for everyday use, or a 32 ft. 5th wheel towed by 3/4 ton 2500 series gas pickup and using that for everyday use. Would one be significantly more fuel cost then the other?

The MotorHome would get about the same as the truck and fifthwheel give or take a small amount. The differences is what the truck uses as compared to the car you would have probably a lot different here, so in the end the motorhome would use less over all. But I would guess your going to get all kinds of varying opinions on this, in the end why care it still is a lot of fuel drive and use what is most convenient for you as the amount of fuel used is directly related to how much your going to drive either one!.

Ironrat nailed it.  The truck and the Class A will use about the same amount of gas  traveling from one place to another.  The big difference is how much that pickup is going to use verses the small car day to day!  ince you know you are going to be parked for months at a time.  Go with the Class A and small car for this situation.  Clear cut.

If we are staying hypothetical, and the initial investment in the two different rig combinations is identical, you will be far better off with the motorhome using the overall fuel expense as the driving factor.

Where it might get sticky is if you have to figure the cost of the investment over time between the two rig choices. For those who already have a suitable towing vehicle, it might not make sense to trade out and move into a motorhome, and I feel sure that drives a lot of decisions.

If you are on the edge, and have bought nothing, look at motorhomes and towing a fuel efficient vehicle first. If you need the truck for other uses, then....  8)

I would think it would be pretty much a wash or lean towards the PU 5th/W as being a little less expensive.

If it is a two-year venture there are other cost involved. You will have two motorized vehicles to maintain with the M/H combo where as you only have one with the PU 5th/W combo. If you need tires, in this two-year timeframe, the tires on the motor home will be way more expensive. The insurance and licensing on the M/H combo will also be more expensive.

I think that anything that you might save on gas with the M/H will be offset by the other cost IMHO.

I would just pick which ever way appeals to you the most and go for it.

Personally you would gain quite a bit running a diesel power plant vs. gasoline. So far now for the 2 years of towing my 31' Jayco with a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (Cummins) I've ranged typically 12-14 MPG. This is tipping the scales at 16,000 to 17,000 pounds gross combined. Total length of 52 feet.

Considering only gas mileage cost, my parents and I traveled together several winters. We have a Class A towing a VW, they had a PU towing a 5er. While traveling, we got about the same mileage, around 8 mpg. But when we were parked, our VW got 30 mpg and their truck got 12-15 so the MH/car combo got better mileage overall and the savings would be even greater if you were mostly parked with the RV.

HTH
Wendy

Wendy said:
Considering only gas mileage cost, my parents and I traveled together several winters. We have a Class A towing a VW, they had a PU towing a 5er. While traveling, we got about the same mileage, around 8 mpg. But when we were parked, our VW got 30 mpg and their truck got 12-15 so the MH/car combo got better mileage overall and the savings would be even greater if you were mostly parked with the RV.

HTH
Wendy

same here. Typically its 12-14 MPG towing the RV and then I'm getting 21-22 MPG just the truck. Very close to your design.

The Local gas stations are having a price war, and I am winning. I filled up for $2.99 and since then have seen $2.95. I tried to attach a picture but it was to large and I don't feel like editing it just to post.

Bobtop46 said:
The Local gas stations are having a price war, and I am winning. I filled up for $2.99 and since then have seen $2.95. I tried to attach a picture but it was to large and I don't feel like editing it just to post.
I'm on my way  ;D. Nothing like that going on around here.

Fuel costs are not necessarily how you want to choose your RV combo.  The numbers will be LOW regardless!  ;)  One design probably fits your needs and uses better, as others have mentioned.  You just have to look a little more into both setups (motorhome vs. 5th wheel) and decide.  Motorhomes require more maintenance than 5th Wheels, but the tow vehicle would get better mileage when running errands or sight-seeing.  As far as picking the RV just right for you, research is the key... do LOTS of it and look at any many rigs as you can in person.  It makes a big difference over just looking at images and dimensions online.

warsw said:
I think that anything that you might save on gas with the M/H will be offset by the other cost IMHO.

I would just pick which ever way appeals to you the most and go for it.

Agreed!

I know that fuel costs, comparatively between different vehicles is a major concern with RVers. There are other factors to consider too, as mentioned above. Fuel is an important cost just as others, such as maintenance, repair, depreciation, convenience, etc. No matter what your decision will be I believe that you should also consider that the price of fuel, overall, on the average, will not drop very much in the future. In fact we expect the price of both gas, diesel and electricity to continue to rise as it has for the past few years This is included in our business model plans for the near and far future. The same reasons for the price of fuel are also the same reasons for the increased price of everything else and we will see them continue.

I just came home from a two-month cross country trip. The average cost of gas was about $3.60, with lows down to $3.20 in the southeast and highs of over $4.00 in California and some parts of Neveda. The highest was in Death Valley Junction, CA at $6.43. My 2011 Fleetwood Southwind averaged about 8-9 mpg, with as low as 5 mph in mountainous regions. That's based on driving 55 mph and pullint a 3,300-pound Chevy HHR. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrWil
Back
Top Bottom