Fuel Filters, AGAIN !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pp3harris

I have been getting Alliance ABP/N122-32FRT01 filters from the nearest Freightliner dealer (80 miles). He ships them to me and I get 3 at a time. I called him yesterday and he says they are out of stock and Freightliner is temporarily out of stock !! The only replacement that I know of is a Racor S3201P and that is about as hard for me to find as the Alliance filter. Can someone tell me a number for a generally available filter such as Wix, Fram, NAPA, etc. The Alliance filter is a 30 micron primary filter on my dual filter system. Cat 3126B, 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. The 2 micron secondary filter is a Cat filter that has always been easy to find.

is that a water separator filter if so check out a Baldwin  BF1223 it might be the one .I have it on my 3126 with the Cat 2 micron filter 

Thanks for the reply. I'll check it out. I have a Baldwin number but it is BF1212 ? Also Fleetguard FS1212 (no bowl), FS1242 (w/bowl). These are 20 micron filters, the Alliance filter is a 30 micron, but it is a strain on my brain to try to figure out what possible difference it could make.

Both of the Baldwin?s listed, BF1223 and BF1212 are primary filters/water separators. The diff is the 1223 is slightly larger and has a sensor port. Neither has a clear bowl, just a drain. I have attached the links for each.
http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/PartSpecification.asp?URL=PartEntry.asp&partnumber=BF1223
http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/PartSpecification.asp?URL=PartEntry.asp&partnumber=BF1212
If you prefer Raycor then find a dealer that sells Parker (parent co). Usually most that sell Baldwin will sell Raycor, which I prefer also.
Another option is to have Cat ship the filters too you. They are usually the same cost or a bit lower in some areas.
You can adjust your primary filter from 30 micron if needed (say to a 20 micron etc.) but do not change your secondary from a 2m, this is very important on the Cat system. If you only have the single filter stay with the 2m.
The Wix 33439 is a 12m if I recall, better than nothing I guess if you have a plugged primary. I would use them in order of Cat or Raycor, then Baldwin, then Alliance, than Wix or others at a last resort. Hope this helps.

Forgot to ask, why are you saying AGAIN like you are changing 3-4 times per year. Are you having problems with the filters or just getting them?

It seems there has been confusion and frustration about where to get the Alliance filter or it's replacement as long as I have had the motorhome (6 years) It's never bothered me since I ordered them 3 at a time from my closest Freightliner dealer 80 miles away. I called him the other day and he said he was out of them and his trusty computer said Freightliner was also. Turns out that was BS. Todd at Freightliner parts, Gaffney, (864) 206 8564, said they have been stocking them for 15 years and expect to do so for the next 15 so, I ordered 3 more. In the meantime curiosity got the best of me and I traveled all over the internet and talked to my local Fleetpride dealer and found out the following:
Racor, S3201P, 30 microns, Use old inspection bowl. Just like Alliance.
Baldwin BF1212, all metal w/drain, 20 microns
Fleetguard FS1212, same filter. Fleetguard FS1242B w/inspection bowl. 20 microns
Desperation measures: WIX 33242, NAPA 3242, Cummings 3355904. All 10 micron/water seperator cans.
I should point out that I have a Cat 3126B dual filter system, filter/water seperator on chassis. 2 micron Cat filter on engine.
WHEW!

With my 2004 Cat C-7 dual fuel filter system I'm about to have the same frustration.  My primary water/fuel filter came new with the Alliance FRT03 filter which I've always used as my replacement.  About 2-3 years ago reading on the FCOC web site it shows the FRT03 is really a 2 micron filter used for a single application on 2003 models meaning I'm running a primary 2 micron and a Cat secondary 2 micron filter.  During the last 2-3 years I've been trying to find a 10 micron water/fuel filter but all information only shows them to be 30 micron.  I called Cat last week to see if I'm doing any harm if I really am running two 2 micron filters and the person I talked to said he doubted very much that the FRT03 was really a 2 micron since they've never used a 2 micron water/fuel filter and didn't think there was one on the market.  He also said that Cat no longer refers to filters by the micron rating and uses only the specific part number for a certain application.  He gave me the Cat number for that application but said it didn't have the see-through glass base like the Alliance does.  Since the micron rating is not printed on the outside of the filter who really knows what we are using.  If the parts supplier can print the part number on the filter why can't they also print the micron rating on it?
I'm getting 7.5-8.5 MPG towing a Jeep Wrangler and have no problem pulling the Colorado mountain passes so guess I'll just keep doing what I have been for the last 9 years.  Wonder what  everyone else with 2004-2006 330-350 HP Cats have been using for water/fuel filters?

The only problem with a 2 micron primary is that it will plug up faster than a 10 micron or 30 micron. If you aren't changing filters too often, no need to worry. Besides, any dirt that gets by the primary simply gets trapped at the secondary anyway. With an ultrafine primary, you should never have to change the secondary  filter.

I have a Freightliner with the single filter system, so my primary is also 2 micron. Different model than yours, though. Mine uses a Fleetguard FS 1022.

Driving only 4,000-6,000 miles per year I still change the primary filter yearly and the secondary one usually every 2-3 years when I'm under the bed for one maintenance item or another.  Several years ago I began to think how easy it would be  to change the primary (which should get stopped up first in case of bad fuel) out on the road instead of having to change both.  Getting under the bed (with all the stuff we store there) and working over a hot engine on the side of the road to change the secondary filter definitely would be no fun.  I have just been a little concerned about slowing the fuel supply getting through two 2 micron filters but the guy at Cat when I called didn't think that could cause any trouble.  But then again he didn't think there was any way the primary filter could be a 2 micron.

A 2 micron filter simply has to be larger to maintain the required fuel flow rate. It's no more difficult to push fuel through the 2 micron primary than the 2 micron secondary.

Check my previous post with fuel filters named and pick one with a see through bowl at the bottom and a micron rating of your choice if you want to have that capability. Even a couple of the water separator types that don't have a bowl have a drain at the bottom. As it is now, you have a super superior filter capability without using what they call a water separator, IMHO. Frankly, you may not need that capability. After 44,000 miles I have never seen water in the bowl but I guess there is a first time for everything. I always get fuel at Flying J/Pilot type truck stops, rarely at smaller stations, so the fuel is probably well filtered for water. BTW, if you have a drain at the bottom of your primary 2 micron filter then disregard all of the above.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom