Fuel & Honda EU2000's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FX

FYI- Last year I had to take my EU2000 in because after starting it, it would run for a few minutes, then get all chocked up and die. 
The Honda dealer cleaned something in the fuel system and gave it back to me good as new.  Repair cost - around $50
They said it was from bad gas.  I only use Cheveron, so I figured it must have been the several month old gas that was in it at the time, was too old.
Well it just happened again.  I didn't learn my lesson the first time.  Kept gas in it for several months and started it up last week and it ran a few minutes then died.  Took it in and they did the same thing. 
It's a cheap repair but also one that can be avoided.  They told me again to only use 'fresh' gas, and not to use gas that has been sitting in a gas can all summer.

If the generator needs to sit for some time, try adding some fuel stabilizer. Can't recall what it's called, but you can buy it at an auto parts store. I learned the hard way with a Merc outboard motor that sat idle for a long time.

Tom said:
If the generator needs to sit for some time, try adding some fuel stabilizer. Can't recall what it's called, but you can buy it at an auto parts store. I learned the hard way with a Merc outboard motor that sat idle for a long time.

Sta-bil?

Howard

I have 3 generators and use Sta-Bil (Stablilzer) in 2 of them,,, #3 will get Sta-Bil when I park the rig next week (LOTS of Sta-Bil, it's a 70 gallon tank)  Never have a starting problem

NOTE: Generators need to be exercized from time to time... How often varies from brand to brand but it is a good idea to get them good and warm from time to time (I mean running under load warm) 

FX,

Don't forget tu use PREMIUM gas in that generator.  StaBil is great to keep gas fresh, as was said.

Another thing I found with my EU2000 is that it does have to be topped off with oil.  Otherwise, it will run for a few minutes, then will shiut itself off if it thinks it doesn't have enough oil.

BTW, there is a very interesting Honda EU2000 group on yahoo.com.

If I'm not going to use my Honda generator for a while, I drain as much fuel as I can (just hold it upside down over a container to get the gas out), then run it until it runs out of gas.

It's also important to store the generator with both valves closed, otherwise the cylinder is exposed to the outside air.  Just pull the starting rope slowly until resistance is felt from the compression stroke.  This is the point where the both valves are closed and the cylinder is sealed.

Lou said:
It's also important to store the generator with both valves closed, otherwise the cylinder is exposed to the outside air.

There's another neat trick I learned. Thanks Lou.

Zuni - You just made me realize I haven't checked the oil in I don't know how long! :eek:
Lou - That was great info.  I have never heard that before but it sounds good enough. 

FX,

The low oil shutdown feature "should" shut the engine off if it is low on oil.  I put that in quotes because my old Honda EU1000 low oil shutdown was defective.  It would shut the engine off but not turn the little red light on.  The local dealer couldn't figure it out, so I finally disabled the shutdown and watched the oil level religiously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom