Fuel Mileage Towing 7500LB 5th Wheel with Ford Diesel Automatic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thefivers

I just got back from my first trip with a Used purchase of a
2001 Ford F-250 4X4 Ext. Cab 7.3L PSD. Automatic Transmission:

I was towing a 7500 pound 5th wheel. I pulled it 140 miles each way, from Vegas to St. George Utah and back. No wind, a few small hills. I got 10 miles a gallon going and returning. I averaged 55-65 mile per hour. Does this sound Low ?

ALSO, is it OK for the Automatic Transmission to Tow in Overdrive ?

Thanks

Overdrive OK unless it starts shifting quite a bit, then I would turn it off.

10MPG sounds a bit low, but considering its a 4X4, probably about right.

I have a 2006 F350 DRW Crew Cab, 6.0L and auto with 4:30LS gears (4X2). Pulling a 37' Fifth Wheel with an empty weight of 13,200 Lbs, got 12 between Memphis and Austin. Found it best to keep the RPM's at 2000 or less, didn't use the cruise control so I do slow down a bit on hills, but not pushing it, I still would seldom drop below 50. For my setup, 2000 RPM's is around 62MPH, so it made for a longer drive than ususal for us, but was still very pleasurable. Saw things I'd missed before when traveling without the 5W at 70+MPH in my older (2000) F150.

Larry

Yes, it sounds a bit low to me. I would have expected somewhere in the 11-13 range. I towed an 11,000 lb 5W with a 99 F250 diesel automatic and got that mpg range consistently.

Yes, you can tow with the OD on in most conditions. However, if the transmission begins to shift in/out of OD every 30-40 seconds (or less), click the OD off. This may happen in rolling hills or other terrain where the grade changes frequently.

I tow an #8000 camper with an E-350 7.3 PSWD 4.10 gear and have usually gotten around ten miles per gallon; but my tow vehicle is also my work van(I'm an electrical contractor) so it is always loaded. Today before a 300 mile trip, I pumped up the tires to max pressure(80 psi), cleaned out my K&N air filter, tweaked the cruise down to 65 mph and got 18 mpg without the camper. That's the best I've ever gotten with this rig; we'll see how it does with the camper.

I have a 05 dodge diesel auto, pulling a 12000# 5th wheel, on slight hilly roads, going about 63 mph,I got 9-15mpg

wls said:
I have a 05 dodge diesel auto, pulling a 12000# 5th wheel, on slight hilly roads, going about 63 mph,I got 9-15mpg

9 towing and 15 not towing?

While towing my computer said sometimes, when going up a grade, I was getting 9, on the flat, usually around 13 I was getting, sometimes it would read 15+. I probably averaged 11-12 mpg for that short trip.

Back
Top Bottom