fuel problem, '92 bounder, 454 fuel injected

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GeorgeIII

Fuel problem, '92 bounder, 454 fuel injected.  Had overheating problem a few months ago.  Rebuilt engine.  Everything seems to be working correctly, however, coach won't run on its own.  It will only run if you bypass injectors and pour gas into the bowl.  It quits within a few seconds after pouring stops.  There is power to injectors, but no ground.

Thats the trouble with these new engines. You need a diagnostic tool to check most things now. I long for a good ol carb sometimes. Sounds like fuel delivery, check fuel pump, fuses to injectors. fuses to fuel pump.

Could possibly be the rubber fuel line from the tank fuel pump  or the fuel pump itself   the line from the fuel more than like comes out of the top of the tank and has collapsed  it's about a foot long and it's about 18 inches from the pump.  It eliminate the vibration of the  metal line.  I'd check that before going much further cuz those rubber line have been known to collapse   Been there done that on our 93 when we had it. 10 years is usually the life span of that line.  It may look good but they do deteriorate on the inside.  Good luck

George,
It will only run if you bypass injectors and pour gas into the bowl.  It quits within a few seconds after pouring stops.  There is power to injectors, but no ground.
I must admit you have me thoroughly confused. You said you "pour gas into the bowl" and it runs. Where is there a "bowl"? A fuel injected system is closed loop; nothing open to pour anything into. Please explain. Also, a fuel injected system, be it throttle body or port injection, has a high pressure fuel pump in the gas tank putting out between 45 and 60 psi. The fuel hose (rubber or otherwise) is under pressure, so it will not collapse; may burst, but not collapse. Best suggestions I can give with limited information is that the fuel pump is not getting power, the injection controller has a loose or damaged connector, or someone forgot to connect a ground somewhere after rebuilding the engine. Also possible that the emergency fuel shutoff switch got tripped, but that's unlikely but still worth checking. Keep us posted on what you find. Good luck!

Karl said:
George,I must admit you have me thoroughly confused. You said you "pour gas into the bowl" and it runs. Where is there a "bowl"? A fuel injected system is closed loop; nothing open to pour anything into. Please explain. Also, a fuel injected system, be it throttle body or port injection, has a high pressure fuel pump in the gas tank putting out between 45 and 60 psi. The fuel hose (rubber or otherwise) is under pressure, so it will not collapse; may burst, but not collapse. Best suggestions I can give with limited information is that the fuel pump is not getting power, the injection controller has a loose or damaged connector, or someone forgot to connect a ground somewhere after rebuilding the engine. Also possible that the emergency fuel shutoff switch got tripped, but that's unlikely but still worth checking. Keep us posted on what you find. Good luck!

You can pour fuel down the throttle body.  Throttle body injected GM enginges run about 13psi of fuel pressure.

GeorgeIII said:
Fuel problem, '92 bounder, 454 fuel injected.  Had overheating problem a few months ago.  Rebuilt engine.  Everything seems to be working correctly, however, coach won't run on its own.  It will only run if you bypass injectors and pour gas into the bowl.  It quits within a few seconds after pouring stops.  There is power to injectors, but no ground.

The computer controls the ground to the injectors so you have to check power while cranking the engine.  If you run a test light across the 2 wires of the injector connector it should blink while cranking the enging over.  If it does blink then you will have to find your fuel supply problem or you have 2 bad injectors (which I doubt, but possible).  Plugged filter, bad pump or no power to the pump, or the hose connecting the pump to the sending unit inside of the fuel tank.

No apology needed, hope it didn't come across that way.  Just putting info out there.  I'm thinking 95 or 96 was the first year GM came out with port injection on the 454's.

Fuel issues are a pain to figure out. there are so many things to check.
Plugged pickup in the tank.
Dead fuel pump.
Clogged fuel filter.
Cracked line between tank and pump(will suck air).
Dead injectors.
Computer problem.
or a bad ground wire.
I always like to start from the back and work towards the motor.
Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom