Fuel pump issues.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

organistas

Hello folks. We moved the RV (1987 Pace Arrow) today to take pictures of it. while pulling it out of the storage facility, we noticed a big puddle and a trail of fuel following the RV. We immediatly stopped and looked under neat it. The fuel hoses around the inline fuel filter were dry and leaking. We replaced them and thought our troubles were over. After replacing them, we ran the motor and i looked under and towards the front. There was fuel spraying near the front of the engine. I traced it to what i think is the fuel pump. Does anybody have a picture or description of what the fuel pump on an 87 Fleetwood pace Arrow with a 454 Chevy looks like? I'm assuming it's the pump because it has three fuel hoses connected to the bottom of what appears to be a canister (similar to an oil filter). It then connects via a 90 degree turn with a couple bolts to the right/rear (looking forward) of the engine. How do you replace this? It looks too tight to do without help from a professional. Is there any place with diagrams of these fuel systems/ Thanks folks.

Chances are the fuel pump is in the fuel tank; not on the engine. What I think you're describing is the fuel vapor recovery canister. They're usually made of some plastic material and reroute the unused fuel back to the tank. The hoses there are probably in need of replacement too. Can you take a picture of it and post it here? Then we can tell for certain. 

Karl,

I think you're right about the vapor recovery can. However, on our 1985 Pace/P30 the fuel pump was external to the tank. I vaguely recall Ed talking about the pump on yours being in the tank, but don't recall when things got changed. "Ford chassis" is also ringing in my head when I think of your coach  ???

Tom,
I should have clarified a bit. If it's an older, carburated motor, the fuel pump may be mechanical and driven off the crankshaft. Newer, fuel injected (throttle body or direct) usually have it in the tank because of the high pressure needed (45-60psi.)

Many times but not always fuel pump, in tank, problems stem from Bad Gas Cap(improper ventilation., particularly on Ford Chassis.  I know nothing of GM.

Thanks for clarification/explanation Karl. I learned something new again today.

The engine has a carburator. I did some online searching and came up with a picture as well. I need a AC #42440 fuel pump. I have no idea where i'll find one though (locally) or If I can use some other replacement brand/type. I'm going to take a look in a couple hours and will post any updates. Thanks fellas.

Karl said:
It will look something like one of these: Chevy fuel pump  Maybe not exactly, but you get the idea. Normally mounted on the left (driver) side of the engine near the front, towards the bottom of the block by 2, maybe 3 bolts. Replacement is quite simple.

Karl:

The link took me off on a tangent on the website.

Karl,

I had the same problem with the link. Methinks it's because you had already navigated the site and had a cookie stored, whereas I would have needed to drill down in their menus to get to the page (first time I visited). If I re-visit, I'm taken directly to the last page I opened.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom