Fuel Pump Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bharad78

Hello
We have a 2001 Coachman Pathfinder Sport built on 2000 Chevy Express 3500 Chassis.
On our last trip in December, the RV was losing power midway and it had to get towed couple of times. One of the diagnosis was bad fuel pump.
I have taken the fuel pump out but forgot where the lines go. There are three lines coming out of fuel pump. Can you help me guide on which line will be connected where. Attaching picture with the main gas line already attached. But the fuel line to generator already out. Not sure if the fuel line to generator goes from the middle one, or the middle one stays as is(fat line) and the line to generator attaches on the empty one.
Also, I would like to know if I should get the new fuel pump matching the 2000 Chevy Express or do we get special fuel pumps for RV. The current one just says napa on it.

Attachments

• 20220630_183736.jpg
    20220630_183736.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 17
Chevy Express 3500 Chassis.
If you can wait a couple of days, I can look under my Y2K RV (Chevy Express Van) and see what goes where. My RV's are now 100 miles away from me.

BTW, how did you get the fuel pump out? Isn't it inside a 55 gallon fuel tank?

I let a truck shop do mine and they said do NOT use the pump from GM, it fails too often. They put in an aftermarket fuel pump in mine that they said they have never seen one go bad.

I will then see if I can find the paperwork and see what type of pump is now in mine.

Edit: I just took a better look at your photo. Looks like you have your fuel tank removed. I doubt if I will be able to see anything on the top of mine.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
YouTube can be your friend. I would surprised if there isn’t a video for this very thing. I have learned over the years that anytime I am disassembling anything or removing anything to take a photo of the the thing before I do any work. Maybe several photos from different angles. I can reference the photos when reassembling or replacing the thing.

I would think the service manual (even Chilton or Haynes) for anything that uses that pump will work. It would seems the hose routing would be the same for the same pump. I've never done a chevy but with the fords I've done it was "obvious" which one went where based on length, diameter and "memory" of where they "want" to go. One can trace out which one is vent, source and return and it's readily seen on the pump which is which.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

the situation is my almost 11 year old curious george :) got excited and went all the way and removed the fuel line going to generator as it was worn out and brittle near the fuel pump when I was not around. I don't know if the empty slot is the one where the line to generator goes or the middle one which is disconnected after a small pipe.

Attachments

• 20220703_114140.jpg
    20220703_114140.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 5
Bharad,
The line with connector that needs a tool to release, that is the one that goes to the engine fuel rail. That is the one you put the green wire tie on.
The larger center one is what is called the fuel fill vent line. It is supposed to let the air out of the fuel tank as the fuel enters while filling. It should go up to the fill neck close to the top.
That little third line is the tank's vapor vent. It is smaller and should go to the top of the carbon canister.
If there is a generator line, it is probably a separate tap. It is old enough that you should replace it with "barrier" grade hose so you don't have to let the tank down again.
Matt

Bharad,
The line with connector that needs a tool to release, that is the one that goes to the engine fuel rail. That is the one you put the green wire tie on.
The larger center one is what is called the fuel fill vent line. It is supposed to let the air out of the fuel tank as the fuel enters while filling. It should go up to the fill neck close to the top.
That little third line is the tank's vapor vent. It is smaller and should go to the top of the carbon canister.
If there is a generator line, it is probably a separate tap. It is old enough that you should replace it with "barrier" grade hose so you don't have to let the tank down again.
Matt
Thank you Matt. Is there a possiblity the third line(to carbon canister) is left open in my fuel-pump, as the fuel-tank has vapor lines(two green canisters plugged in the tank separately).
Still trying to figure out on where will the line from generator connect to.

If you can wait a couple of days, I can look under my Y2K RV (Chevy Express Van) and see what goes where. My RV's are now 100 miles away from me.

BTW, how did you get the fuel pump out? Isn't it inside a 55 gallon fuel tank?

I let a truck shop do mine and they said do NOT use the pump from GM, it fails too often. They put in an aftermarket fuel pump in mine that they said they have never seen one go bad.

I will then see if I can find the paperwork and see what type of pump is now in mine.

Edit: I just took a better look at your photo. Looks like you have your fuel tank removed. I doubt if I will be able to see anything on the top of mine.

-Don- Reno, NV
Any recommendations for the fuel pump that should work for a 55G tank, as the pump that chevy sells is possibly for 36G and I am not sure that we get a separate fuel pump which is different from manufacturer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom