Full-timer, RVing in winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davem1958

I'm less than a year into my first motorhome, all spent in Georgia.? I'm a contractor, and have just accepted a new contract in Morgantown, WV.? I'm wondering what challenges I will face trying to spend a winter in a cold climate.? I'm guessing those that have the option choose southern destinations in the winter.? ?:)

Is it practical to RV in the north in winter??
Are RV parks readily available, open all year??
Don't the hoses freeze?

Any comments appreciated!

Dave

If you don't have one, I would suggest you get Trailer Life or Woodall to research RV Parks.  I just checked Trailer Life for RV Parks in Morgantown. Chestnut Ridge Regional Park does not list closing in winter but does have a 30 day maximum stay.  Sand Springs Camping Area is open from May 1 to Nov. 1.  It is not uncommon for parks in the north to close in the winter.  You may want to check parks in the general area of Morgantown for winter availability.  If you don't yet have Trailer Life, give me a couple more towns in the area you are interested in and I will look them up for you.

Dave,

The county park I stay in during the summer is open all year for rv'ers and campers alike, but come October 15, the water is shut off and you have to haul your own water in whatever size containers you can handle. Yes, pipes do freeze, so you need to take special precautions to prevent it. May take nothing more than an incandescent lamp in one of the bays or some electric pipe wrap. Most full-timers put some type of skirting around the lower portion of the rv to help tame the wind, rent large propane tanks, and have rigs with dual-pane windows and better insulation. There are no sewers on site, so dumping of grey and black tanks is another problem (challange?), for snow may prevent you from driving to the dump site. Then, a blue boy is your only option, and not a fun one in the middle of winter. Even if there were sewer connections, your hose would freeze up with less than desireable results. Trust me on this one! Electric space heaters are good to have, as is an electric blanket or mattress pad. That way you don't have to keep the whole rig toasty warm at night while sleeping. You can't count on the electric being on 24/7 due to seasonal snow/ice storms, so a genset is a necessity. I bought an LP catalytic heater that's safe for indoor use, and that's helped a lot when you don't feel like running your furnace(s) constantly. Also good to take the morning chill off even when not in a cold climate.

It certainly can be done and many have, but it takes a little planning and some warm clothes - style be damned ;D 

Thanks for the info.  Sounds challenging, but I'll be giving it a try.  I'll be ordering the directories ASAP.

Dave

davem1958 said:
I'm a contractor, and have just accepted a new contract in Morgantown, WV.
Dave

Dave,

Did a Google search on Morgantown temps.

Winter average low temperature of 21 degrees
Winter average high temperature of 39 degrees
Mean annual snowfall of 32".

Doesn't sound too bad. If your MH has dual pane windows it should be doable.

I would contact the Morgantown Chamber of Commerce. (800-618-2525 or email [email protected]) They should be able to steer you towards RV parks in their area that are open all winter.

You didn't say how long your contract was for. If it's over 6 months another option is to check with mobile home parks in that area. They would be better set up for winter operations.

Don't the hoses freeze?

You only need to hook them up when you are going to use them. Fill your on-board fresh water tank, disconnect the hose and put it away. Same with you dump hose. Dump your tanks, rinse out the hose and put it away. If you don't want to run off your on-board tank then rap the hose with heat tape and insulation.

If you're heating with propane, check with a local propane company about filling your MH tank from one of their delivery trucks. Some companies will and some won't. If they won't, ask them about setting you up with a larger tank. How long you're going to be there would determine if this would be economical.

Don, that sounds like a good plan.  I can go a few days with careful water usage, and connect when the weather moderates.  I do have double pane windows.  :)

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom