Full-timers in Southern Ontario! Do you have a structure around your RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huntforgreenliving

My partner and I have just purchased a Jayco 32 foot RV. We are going off grid and are making this into our tiny home. We've done a ton of research and feel confident about making it through the winter without any issues.

This is not a forum to discuss why you think we're nuts (I'm sure lots of you do). What we want to know is if other people are currently rving in Southern Ontario during the winter and if so, do you have a structure around your trailer? We know that if snow accumulates on top of our roof and slides, the rising heat from inside the trailer will melt the bottom layer of that snow and cause that to turn to ice which in turn will give us issues with the expanding ice. This would lead to it  expanding and breaking in to the camper, causing tearing, damage etc.

We're looking for the best way to build a semi-permanent structure so we can still pull our RV on and off the property. Any suggestions? We are seeing carports that we can buy but this will put us in the 1500 to $2,000 range.

Huntforgreenliving said:
My partner and I have just purchased a Jayco 32 foot RV. We are going off grid and are making this into our tiny home. We've done a ton of research and feel confident about making it through the winter without any issues.

This is not a forum to discuss why you think we're nuts (I'm sure lots of you do). What we want to know is if other people are currently rving in Southern Ontario during the winter and if so, do you have a structure around your trailer? We know that if snow accumulates on top of our roof and slides, the rising heat from inside the trailer will melt the bottom layer of that snow and cause that to turn to ice which in turn will give us issues with the expanding ice. This would lead to it  expanding and breaking in to the camper, causing tearing, damage etc.

We're looking for the best way to build a semi-permanent structure so we can still pull our RV on and off the property. Any suggestions? We are seeing carports that we can buy but this will put us in the 1500 to $2,000 range.
Huntforgreenliving
I know a couple in Wisconsin who, (during winters they don't travel south), rent a warehouse with a furnace and a bathroom in which they park and live in their motorhome during the cold months.

Any chance you can build something over and around your RV? Shed-like? It would keep the snow/ice off and keep the cold wind from underneath.

Back
Top Bottom